Does wall paper help with reverb mitigation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

insider9

Mic to laptop with a USB cable. And laptop to USB DAC with another USB cable. Alternatively if you have Optical or Coax out on your PC. Digital signal as far as you can.

In your case, Newlash, I'd suggest you connect your laptop to 2Qute via USB.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Mic to laptop with a USB cable. And laptop to USB DAC with another USB cable. Alternatively if you have Optical or Coax out on your PC. Digital signal as far as you can.

In your case, Newlash, I'd suggest you connect your laptop to 2Qute via USB.

The problem is that I've already sold the chord2qute. So don't have a usb dac anymore. Should have probably waited till the umik-1 arrived. Will change my signature shortly. Moved out a lot of boxes from the setup in my signature.

insider9

Ok, in that case your Halo has a USB input. Your Marantz SR 6011 could be connected up via HDMI also. Yamaha only has optical in and it would work but most laptops don't have optical out (some desktops do).

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I was thinking your better off connecting digital if you can

it will still work via analogue that's how I had to do it for years

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Coming to this thread late.

I remember my paternal grandfather, who was the Chief Engineer at BBC Bristol until he retired in 1967 or 68, telling me out they used to line the walls of the sound studios with old egg trays. You know, the dimpled papier mache' ones....

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I had considered going hdmi into the marantz. However, since the marantz is already running in calibrated mode, wasnt sure if it would play the test tone without room eq even in pure direct mode. Hence to avoid confusion, wanted to go through the wxc-50 with a rca connection. Should get the cables today. Will start with my room testing early tomorrow morning when the family is still asleep. Will have to do a lot of reading before I start. The last time I attempted, there were too many options as to even the test tone to be used.

Any suggestions on where and how to place my microphone for measuring a 2 channel setup will be very helpful. And also what test tones should I use. The previous test tone just ran for 5.5secs. Not sure if that was the right tone too :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
if your using REW just use it's sweep.

You might have seen these but I made a very basic video guide to using REW.
There are better ones out there

insider9

Play with it a little first. Don't go loud it. Use calibration files from Minidsp website and familirise yourself with REW. Ideally you'd want something that would allow you to go back to the same spot in space (not that important at first, but helps later and it's just easier). A mic stand could do a job or if you have an unused camera tripod you could use that. I used mine, cello taped little tripod that came with Umik to the top of it. Not the best looking but a great, stable solution. As long as you leave markings on the floor or take notes you can reliably go back to the same spot.

Generally run sweeps of one speaker at a time. You can stick to short sweeps at first at low volume. That will be all you need at first. Work out your own method. I always do left then right, occasionally followed by both. It helps if I'm not bothered to take notes. Introduce changes then repeat. It will depend on what you measure, so it may be that you will want to measure it at higher volume.

First thing I'd do is to confirm best speaker and listening position placement in your room. You may just realise that where you sit right now is no good. Use "Room Sim" in REW and enter all details. Move listening position on screen to see how it should affect frequency response. Run sweeps with listening mic at listening position each individual speaker (make notes in the file of what's what). Then run another sets of sweeps in different positions in the room and compare. Feel free to email me the file and I'd be happy to look it over.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Play with it a little first. Don't go loud it. Use calibration files from Minidsp website and familirise yourself with REW. Ideally you'd want something that would allow you to go back to the same spot in space (not that important at first, but helps later and it's just easier). A mic stand could do a job or if you have an unused camera tripod you could use that. I used mine, cello taped little tripod that came with Umik to the top of it. Not the best looking but a great, stable solution. As long as you leave markings on the floor or take notes you can reliably go back to the same spot.

Generally run sweeps of one speaker at a time. You can stick to short sweeps at first at low volume. That will be all you need at first. Work out your own method. I always do left then right, occasionally followed by both. It helps if I'm not bothered to take notes. Introduce changes then repeat. It will depend on what you measure, so it may be that you will want to measure it at higher volume.

First thing I'd do is to confirm best speaker and listening position placement in your room. You may just realise that where you sit right now is no good. Use "Room Sim" in REW and enter all details. Move listening position on screen to see how it should affect frequency response. Run sweeps with listening mic at listening position each individual speaker (make notes in the file of what's what). Then run another sets of sweeps in different positions in the room and compare. Feel free to email me the file and I'd be happy to look it over.

Will follow the above to a T :)

Unfortunately I don't have the liberty to shift my listening position, as it is a huge L shaped sofa. And I sit bang in centre of both of speakers. I had a lot of flexibility in the dining room. Will surely mail you my room files, thanks a lot for that insider9. No one usually takes that kind of effort for someone else :)

But if my living room is beyond remedy, please let me know. I will again shift back to the dining. Will be a hard sell to mrs.newlash. But don't want to live with poor or less than optimal sound for the rest of my life too.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
ellisdj said:
if your using REW just use it's sweep.

You might have seen these but I made a very basic video guide to using REW.
There are better ones out there

Thanks for suggesting the videos. Will surely check them out tomorrow morning, before I start :)

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
interesting details on the egg crate for acoustics

https://youtu.be/HxfMUi7f0k4

make you chuckle
Well. First off a geezer trying to sell you his expensive acoustic panels (no doubt made out of rocking horse manure or unicorn hair or something), and second he's using Styrofoam not papier mache'. The Beeb used the old papier mache' egg TRAYS that you used to see at grocers and butchers back in the 60s and 70s. These sort.

https://goo.gl/images/LfwEUn

And they worked. Compare with the foam cones found in ultra high end anechoic chambers and get back to me.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I think you completely missed the point there which means you probably didn't watch the video.

He shows the data from egg cartons and interestingly they do have an effect but not one you would want to employ today I.e. they only work in a limited way which is totally understandable when you think what it is.

Maybe they used them years ago through lack of alternative but it's not something you will really want to use today when there are more suitable products available.

this is likely the data he is referencing http://www.acousticsfirst.com/eggc.htm in this video.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I think you completely missed the point there which means you probably didn't watch the video.

He shows the data from egg cartons and interestingly they do have an effect but not one you would want to employ today I.e. they only work in a limited way which is totally understandable when you think what it is.

Maybe they used them years ago through lack of alternative but it's not something you will really want to use today when there are more suitable products available.

this is likely the data he is referencing http://www.acousticsfirst.com/eggc.htm in this video.

Don't you know you can buy special audiophile egg cartons for lots of money.?

That should pacify you

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
ellisdj said:

Don't you know you can buy special audiophile egg cartons for lots of money.?

That should pacify you
*biggrin*

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:

I wasn't really suggesting anyone today would cover their living room walls with egg trays you know.....

What you have to remember is that this was back in the early days of radio (my grandfather learned all about those new fangled portable radios as an RAF navigator-gunner between WW1 and WW2 and joined the BBC in nineteen-thirty-six), and also just how austere the times were during and after WW2. It worked in the little radio studios and it was cheap. Decor was not high on the list of priorities - they were probably painted over using army surplus khaki paint - and "modern" materials didn't exist.

Strictly Stereo

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
newlash09 said:
The clap does seem to take a while to dissipate. But again iam not too sure, as it's not exactly a echo :)

A inch thick is quite a lot. Will see what I can find. Because covering a full 17 feet living room wall with panels is asking for divorce :)

Wallpaper won't make any difference. You don't need to cover the entire wall with panels. In fact, you would probably be rather unhappy with the results if you did. Your best bet is to start by treating the first reflection points on the front, side, rear walls and ceiling. Thicker panels absorb more effectively than thinner ones, all other things being equal.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
I'd doubt it.

but if applied to your walls, this WILL :https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROCKWOOL-RWA45-Acoustic-Sound-Insulation-50-75-and-100mm-X-1/142074391849?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=441167912606&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

My neighbour noise was amazingly BAD...... I walled it with THESE slabs of thick-dense-slabs....... over-layed with plasterboard in my then young daughter's bedroom

The MEGA NOISE was at that time, Coming froem the room right throught the wall from my 9 year old's bedroom....... EVERY EVENING, SURE AS FATE, BOOM, BOOM BOOM ! Crap vibes from the 21 yr old girl next room to my daughter who had school mext morning at 9am (every night, same noise)

I bought these amazing HIGH DENSITY slabs, you could hardly hear anything after I put em on the wall.

BRILLIANT !

IF Memory serves...... I got the 40mm slabs.... as said, brilliant !

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Yes mate you will be correct its just that I remember ordering these 'slabs' from some place down in England, great reviews too... and I did the work installing em and the gyprock....and my goodness, they work a treat , no kidding.

TBH, this was an amount of years ago. .... it may well have been one of they other 'slabs' tbh ?

I thing all things being equal, the slabs which I bought all they years ago, to feel........ with your own hand/fingers..... these were indeed, High Density.

and a good fouty-fifty mm thickness.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts