does optical give better sound???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have an onkyo 606 with kef1005.2 speakers with a ps3 as the bluray player, but I've heard an optical lead would give better sound than my hdmi lead, is this true???

A

Anonymous

which of the 3 wise monkeys told you that !

you won't get HD soundtracks from the PS3 using optical so NO

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
optical is the better standard for audio than hdmi - if you're watching standard def or playing games the optical should be better than hdmi but you have to use hdmi to get the hd soundtracks from the ps3 as there in no other choice.

Raniator

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
That's an interesting point... I too use a PS3 for blu-ray playback. Got the sound running through optical to my amp and the picture though HDMI to the TV.

Does this mean I'm not getting the correct 'surround sound' because I'm not using HDMI for the audio?

Or am I just reading too much into it... everything sounds pretty good to me!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Depends on what amp you have. If it has an HDMI in which is capable of accepting linear PCM, then you could be getting better sound from Blu-Ray discs by hooking the PS3 up to your amp via HDMI. If you haven't, then optical connection is your best bet.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Raniator"]That's an interesting point... I too use a PS3 for blu-ray playback. Got the sound running through optical to my amp and the picture though HDMI to the TV.

Does this mean I'm not getting the correct 'surround sound' because I'm not using HDMI for the audio?

Or am I just reading too much into it... everything sounds pretty good to me![/quote]

Afraid it does. I have a Panasonic BD30 blu ray which I connect to my Denon 2808 AV amp by HDMI. I then connect the output of the Denon to the TV via HDMI. HDMI is the only method of connection for HD sound.

I have also linked the BD30 direct to the TV via HDMi, disabled the HDMI sound and connected the BD30 to the Denon via optical. This was done because I was told that I would get better picture quality this way. I did not notice any PQ difference. The sound on normal DVDs seemed slightly better though.

I concluded that I need the HDMI from player to amp to ensure that I could access HD sound and left the optical connected so that I could select this when non-HD sound was the only option. I am sure that the PS3 would work in a similar manner.

Raniator

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Also, what is the difference between Linear and Bitstream settings on the PS3? Bitstream appears to sound better, but the warning dialogue box that pops up saying something like 'selecting this option may result in certain portions of audio on Blu-ray not playing' puts me off using it...

What are the optimum settings for that sort of thing?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Bitstream is when the PS3 sends the audio signal out undecoded and linear PCM is when the audio is decoded onboard the PS3. If you're hooked up via HDMI to an amp capable of accepting linear PCM, use the Linear PCM setting as the PS3 will decode the HD audio onboard and then send the sound to the amp. The PS3 cannot bitstream HD audio so this is the only way it can be done (which is what the warning is telling you basically).

If you're hooked up with optical, set the PS3 to bitstream the Dolby Digital / DTS soundtracks to the amp for the amp to decode.

A

Anonymous

A touch of thread crashing... sorry... but I think this is wrapping itself up now! Am I right in thinking that, as an owner of a 606/PS3 combo, I have to MANUALLY change the PS3 from linear to bitstream when I stick a dvd in instead of a blu ray?! It looks like I do, unless I am missing something?! Bit of a pain as I have a lot of both to watch and I'd hope the thing could automatically sense a dvd/BR and change? Cheers

A

Anonymous

just wondering what the kef 1005's sound like connected to the onkyo. do they give an excellent sound and how good is the hd sound? is there much difference from normal sd?

cheers

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="SAP7"]Am I right in thinking that, as an owner of a 606/PS3 combo, I have to MANUALLY change the PS3 from linear to bitstream when I stick a dvd in instead of a blu ray?![/quote]

Yes, I believe this is one of the major annoyances still left with the PS3 - the other option is to connect to the 606 with both the HDMI and the optical and then switch the output to optical for DVD watching. Not sure which is easier though as I've yet to make the jump to HD audio.

Fingers crossed Sony sort this with a firmware update soon...

Raniator

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
[quote user="professorhat"]
Bitstream is when the PS3 sends the audio signal out undecoded and linear PCM is when the audio is decoded onboard the PS3. If you're hooked up via HDMI to an amp capable of accepting linear PCM, use the Linear PCM setting as the PS3 will decode the HD audio onboard and then send the sound to the amp. The PS3 cannot bitstream HD audio so this is the only way it can be done (which is what the warning is telling you basically).

If you're hooked up with optical, set the PS3 to bitstream the Dolby Digital / DTS soundtracks to the amp for the amp to decode.
[/quote]

Thanks for your reply.

I am using optical into my amp (it's a fairly old Sony DVD all-in-one doofer so there is no HDMI input) so I'll make sure it is set to bitstream :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts