Does it make a difference what end you plug your hdmi in ?

asif

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Apologies in advance if this sounds a silly question..and i would happily answer my own question if it wasnt for the hideous monstrosity of cables i have squeezed and tangled at the rear of my rack!! i have the chord silver plus and have the red end going into the amp and grey end into the components..the instructions dont state anything to the contarary..any opinions from anyone with this cable? (the pictures in a past what hifi hd publication show the opposite to what ive done)..Thankyou to anyone who responds

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I thought on the Chord it has an arrow on it to indicate it's directional (my one does) i.e. the signal should flow in the direction of the arrow. Just checked and have the orange end in the PS3, silver end into the HDMI in on the amp and then coming from the amp, the orange end out of the HDMI out of the Onkyo and the silver end in the TV (two cables obviously).
Mind you, I haven't tried it round the other way - it probably works but then my guess is the manufacturer has a reason for stating it should be that way round (cue the cries of how naive I am etc. etc.).

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Not 100% sure, but I think the general rule with cables is the the writing on the cable should flow from the source component.

asif

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Thankyou kindly prof. Tis going to be a long and lonesome night behind my rack..and then sharply followed by a trip to specsavers!!!

A

Anonymous

Most of Chord's cables ARE directional. With the Silver Plus, the red plug goes at the SOURCE end, so DVD player for instance, or when running the output lead to a TV/projector, the Amp...I believe this is stated in the small leaflet that comes with the cables and also on their website somewhere.....With their other cables, speaker and interconnects, it tends to be the direction of the writing that indicates, so the C of Chord going at the source end.....

A

Anonymous

If you are calling Chord's electric cables directional you can only say so in that electrons flow from negative to positive. The cables would work perfectly well either way. Cables that are directional normally have an odd end, i.e. different connections or shielding.

This does not matter for HDMI and electric cables, unless for already stated reason.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts