Does having a LCD/LED television between speakers affect sound?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Overdose said:
Electrically, it is unlikely to be a problem either, as all of todays necessary electronics will be magnetically shielded.

A little pedantic, but modern electronics are not magnetically shielded. The only magnetic shielding you may possibly find anywhere in equipment would be around a hard drive. Old CRTs were particulary vulnerable to magnetic fields, beam deflection was driven magnetically and the shadow mask could also become magnetised. You either ended up with a wonky picture, or purple coloured grass. LCD / Plasma are not impacted by this. Should you wish you can balance your LCD on top of your unshielded speaker with no ill effect.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Back in the day when I had a decent system that could reproduce a proper 3 dimensional soundstage, I found it made a substantial difference.

Highly subjective I guess.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
andyjm said:
Overdose said:
Electrically, it is unlikely to be a problem either, as all of todays necessary electronics will be magnetically shielded.

A little pedantic, but modern electronics are not magnetically shielded. The only magnetic shielding you may possibly find anywhere in equipment would be around a hard drive. Old CRTs were particulary vulnerable to magnetic fields, beam deflection was driven magnetically and the shadow mask could also become magnetised. You either ended up with a wonky picture, or purple coloured grass. LCD / Plasma are not impacted by this. Should you wish you can balance your LCD on top of your unshielded speaker with no ill effect.

I didn't word that particularly well. I meant to say all electronics would have shielding if necessary.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts