Question Does feedback damage speakers?

Dave_J_G

Feb 3, 2021
Visit site
Hello

I accidentally plugged a live source into my amp when it was on resulting in a very loud feedback buzz / scream from speakers. It was transient, lasting less than a second or so but rather loud. The amp volume was around half way up.

Could this have damaged the speakers, especially the tweeters?

Long story short; at the point it happened I hadn't used them much with that amp so don't have a great pre incident benchmark. But now I notice the left speaker sounds slightly different to the right when I set the balance accordingly. Slightly brighter. Overall, they still sound good when playing together but there's defo a difference.

It may be a coincidence / another issue but would like to rule out damage caused by my silly mistake.

Thanks

Dave

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
In my experience, if your speakers receive a significant spike from the amp, you will damage one of the drivers. This would usually be the midrange or tweeter. That said, a damaged speaker is instantly recognisable soundwise. Any music that does come through is seriously distorted. If this is not the case with you, you may have been lucky and got away with it this time. You didn't mention the brand or model of speaker. If you can confirm the details, others here more familiar with the brand may be able to help further.

Dave_J_G

Feb 3, 2021
Visit site
In my experience, if your speakers receive a significant spike from the amp, you will damage one of the drivers. This would usually be the midrange or tweeter. That said, a damaged speaker is instantly recognisable soundwise. Any music that does come through is seriously distorted. If this is not the case with you, you may have been lucky and got away with it this time. You didn't mention the brand or model of speaker. If you can confirm the details, others here more familiar with the brand may be able to help further.

Thank you Paul,

The speakers are a pair of Sonus Faber Grand Piano. A good friend sold them to me several years ago at a price that was a favour. For a while I had them hooked up to an AV recieved that didn't do them justice so they sat unused for years. So a few weeks ago I bought a 2nd hand Cambridge Audio 640 A V2 amp. It was in setting it job this happened hence lack of benchmark.

I appreciate the amp may be faulty. Also, my audio source may not be ideal (an echo dot) so there's probably a lot of weak links. None the less it sounds quite good. But, the speakers defo have a different doubt and sometimes, there's a slight intermittent buzz. But nothing that is really obvious... it may just be a weak link, or my mistake may have caused some minor damage?

Thanks again

Dave

AVDude

Oct 17, 2020
Visit site
Thank you Paul,

The speakers are a pair of Sonus Faber Grand Piano. A good friend sold them to me several years ago at a price that was a favour. For a while I had them hooked up to an AV recieved that didn't do them justice so they sat unused for years. So a few weeks ago I bought a 2nd hand Cambridge Audio 640 A V2 amp. It was in setting it job this happened hence lack of benchmark.

I appreciate the amp may be faulty. Also, my audio source may not be ideal (an echo dot) so there's probably a lot of weak links. None the less it sounds quite good. But, the speakers defo have a different doubt and sometimes, there's a slight intermittent buzz. But nothing that is really obvious... it may just be a weak link, or my mistake may have caused some minor damage?

Thanks again

Dave
Poor impedance matching or voltage spikes can ruin them.
I make a point of not disconnecting or connecting inputs/outputs with the equipment powered on, it's a good CYA plan and usually prevents any thumping of the speaker element.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts