Does dual mono actually play as stereo?

“Dual mono” means that each channel is completely independent of the other, and shares no components at all, unlike a normal amplifier where at the bare minimum, both channels would at least be fed by the same transformer - each channel is a completely independent amplifier in itself from the start of the input to the output, including its very own transformer. The channels are usually mirror imaged too.

insider9

It does play as stereo, but as David pointed out reflects build.

A3.5 was and still is a very respected amp. With lots of power and high current. Bargain at second hand prices where you can usually find out around £400.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Every amp has one transformer feeding both amplification channels. But when both the channels have their won indipendent transformers, it's called dual mono. Essentially two mono block amps in one single casing

gisgillen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Thank you all. Interesting. Insider9 assures me it is stereo, which is enough for me. Thanks. PS insider9, in our recent correspondence regarding the Musical Fidelity, you suddenly gave up on me?!

davidf said:
“Dual mono” means that each channel is completely independent of the other, and shares no components at all, unlike a normal amplifier where at the bare minimum, both channels would at least be fed by the same transformer - each channel is a completely independent amplifier in itself from the start of the input to the output, including its very own transformer. The channels are usually mirror imaged too.

+1

Normally described as a stereo integrated or whatever built to a dual-mono design. Forget the mono bit and read two identical and seperate channels of hardware each handling a left or right signal.

insider9

gisgillen said:
Thank you all. Interesting. Insider9 assures me it is stereo, which is enough for me. Thanks. PS insider9, in our recent correspondence regarding the Musical Fidelity, you suddenly gave up on me?!  
I'm so sorry, I did. I must've read it and wasn't able to respond, then it slipped my mind.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Vladimir said:
insider9 said:
How have you been?

Doing great. Hope you are well and less bored than I am. *ok*
Good stuff!

Bored? No, not at all. I've got Esoteric F-05 in for a review so won't be bored for a while.

It might even keep you guys entertained :)

That's mouth watering impressive looking amp. Is the F-05 the Class AB version?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Vladimir said:

Indeed. It is class AB. Let me bump that thread with some pictures so you can see it.

Good choice. Going for class A with enclosed heatsinks usually is a big problem for a large integrated.

insider9

Vladimir said:
insider9 said:
Vladimir said:

Indeed. It is class AB. Let me bump that thread with some pictures so you can see it.

Good choice. Going for class A with enclosed heatsinks usually is a big problem for a large integrated.

I'd need 3 people to carry it if it was Class A. It's 32kg plus a bit more for a chunky DAC board as it is. 120Wpc into 8 Ohms and 240 into 4 Ohms from 940VA transformer and massive caps. The box nearly doesn't fit through the door *biggrin*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Vladimir said:
insider9 said:
Vladimir said:

I'd need 3 people to carry it if it was Class A. It's 32kg plus a bit more for a chunky DAC board as it is. 120Wpc into 8 Ohms and 240 into 4 Ohms from 940VA transformer and massive caps. The box nearly doesn't fit through the door *biggrin*

You can make yours pure Class A by turning up the biasing at 1.3A+, but then it won't be 120Wpc. PSU will clip at 30Wpc or less, considering 60% of the power will become heat and make the wooden rack catch on fire.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
The whole point of dual mono is better stereo separation.
More like it's to get the very best power supply for each channel.

Stereo separation is not an issue for the vast majority of stereo amplifiers.

Not getting the very best sound possible out the signal path circuit is an issue for many amplifiers. Whereby an upgrade to the power supply would result in better sound.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Same thing. Maxing out the power supply on each channel.

tumblr_o8d4dmOzXE1rdn65io1_500.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts