Question Does anyone still use a radio tuner?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matthewpianist

I don't 'get' the whole cassette thing either. I grew up making mix tapes and recording things from vinyl that I could get Dad to play in the car, but without a top-end Nakamichi or similar the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired and they wear more quickly than any other format. These days I just don't see the point.

Reactions: DCarmi

Witterings

My tuner was put in the loft when my old system went pop and I bought an AVR with a tuner built in for the lounge.

In the kitchen / living area I have a Denon M39 which again has a built in tuner and so much of the time, to just press one button and it comes straight on with my / our preferred radio station is just so simple and is probably a good 70% of the systems' usage.

The Mrs has never used a Radio App in her life and to try an start converting her, switching on the amp, making sure it's set to the correct input, then open an App, then select the correct station, then find a way to cast it to the correct device and if any of that chain fails she wouldn't know wehere to start to put it right.
The time all the latter would take in comparison to just pressing one button on the remote, she could have ironed 2 shirts while listening to the radio in the background :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: DCarmi

ianb

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site
I was reminiscing (had to look up the spelling) about some of my hifi from the olden days :)

I came across a piece of equipment, that I had quite forgotten about.

It was my tuner.
My last model was an Akai ST-S7.

View attachment 4072
Bought purely on looks and price
Mine was silver.

I never knew what happened to it, but it got me thinking.
Does anyone still have a tuner and do they still use it?

I now listen to internet radio and the odd DAB broadcast (Radio London/LBC) on my small mains powered radio (Roberts Stream 94I.... I love it )
I've just downsized my AV setup to amp,record player,cdp,tape deck and as I was reminiscing old school I've added a kenwood t83l too

I don't 'get' the whole cassette thing either. I grew up making mix tapes and recording things from vinyl that I could get Dad to play in the car, but without a top-end Nakamichi or similar the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired and they wear more quickly than any other format. These days I just don't see the point.
Me neither. Cassettes were always a puzzle. If you purchased a 120 minute blank cassette, even good brands like TDK, they would always mess up after a few weeks of use.

There was always a family joke. If my family couldn't find me they would just follow the ribbons of tangled celluloid around the house.

My deck was okay for a budget player (Hitachi D230), I would never go back to the format.

doifeellucky

Pre iPod, the first hard disk based portable player I was aware of was made by Creative Labs, and before that recordable CD and associated player, cassette was the only portable option for many many years. TDK SA90 was my go to. I personally never had any issues with longevity, apart from tapes occasionally being chewed in the car. I had a reasonable Yamaha recorder in the late 80’s and early 90’s, probably WHF or HiFi Choice recommended. In the early 80’s I also had my Grans old reel to reel, probably made by Grundig or something of that level, that I used to record the top 40. No idea why anyone would be interested in the format now. Either quite hissy or flat sounding with Dolby NR. At least the lack of trap skip meant you generally listened to full albums or mix tapes, more than many do now.

Having lived through that and the arrival of CD I’m often perplexed as to why some people get so hung up on measurements and spend thousands on DACs, etc, for a very insignificant improvement. Just enjoy the music.

Last edited:

AJM1981

Guardians of the Galaxy and other movies seem to have contributed to a comeback.

The target group is a different one than audiophiles. As teenagers and adults with a serious interest in a single bluetooth booming speaker with disco lights also exist, as i witnessed in a store. Don't ask why... :)

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Connected mine up the other week.

8udZC2l.jpg
Have I seen this photo on facebook or am I imagining it?

manicm

Cassettes were very much fun, until the player chewed the tape up and spat it out. Good riddance. The worst medium ever, though admittedly home recordings could often sound superior than the original.

Back on point, if my equipment has it, I use a tuner (built-in or otherwise) to sit back and relax. Kudos to Denon/Marantz for keeping it alive. They understand the beauty of listening beyond just technophilia.

Reactions: WayneKerr

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts