Does anyone know B&W CM7 speakers?

Pueblo_Boy

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I may be swapping my Roksan Xerxes (which needs a bit of tlc) for a pair of B&W CM7 speakers, which I have never heard before. Sounds daft, but what few reviews I've read seem to make me think I will like them.
Before, I had KEF 104/2 speakers, and I simply loved them, especially for their mid-range sound on guitar and vocals. Deep bass has never been so important to me as clean bass. I can always switch on my sub-woofer if I need a bass boost...
Can anyone who has owned these speakers give me any critical insight? I currently have Castle Harlech Mk.1 speakers, but am not adverse to changing them, despite them improving dramatically once I installed a Rage upgrade from the Funk Firm to my Rega deck.

Slothy

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
I have CM8’s from 2011 , very similar but I believe CM7 had more bass though I never heard them.
The CM8’s have a very crisp attacking sound with amazing midrange, great for vocals and guitar. They sound at their best with guitar based music and jazz. Wouldn’t recommend them for hip hop, EDM etc.
Bass is quite weak on these, I added an REL T5i to flesh them out.

Reactions: Pueblo_Boy

Pueblo_Boy

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, Slothy. I don't have a single hip-hop album in my collection...and as for EDM, I prefer the old fashioned dance music...so I'm now thinking these speakers could be right up my street! Nils Lofgren and Roy Buchanan will love them, and I'm sure the acoustics of Ry Cooder and Leo Kottke will similarly shine through :)

Reactions: Al ears

Slothy

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Thanks, Slothy. I don't have a single hip-hop album in my collection...and as for EDM, I prefer the old fashioned dance music...so I'm now thinking these speakers could be right up my street! Nils Lofgren and Roy Buchanan will love them, and I'm sure the acoustics of Ry Cooder and Leo Kottke will similarly shine through :)
Hi PB,

Sounds like we have similar music tastes, I think you’ll like them👍

Pueblo_Boy

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I've still not listened to these speakers very much, as my turntable arm has been sent away for checking, am awaiting its return...but, the reason I sent it away was the over-bright sound I was getting. Mind you, part of the blame belongs to my AT cartridge, they always sound a bit on the bright side! And I am running in a new phono pre-amp as well. And the record deck (Rega P3) is also new to me (wish I still had my Xerxes!) Lots of variables there, but I'm convinced the speakers do err on the analytical side, as well as being a bit bass light in comparison to the Castle Harlechs they replaced. Luckily, I have a velodyne sub-woofer to pick up the slack...
Can't wait to get my arm back with Houdini decoupler, by all accounts it should clean up the sound field tremendously. :) We hope so...

I've still not listened to these speakers very much, as my turntable arm has been sent away for checking, am awaiting its return...but, the reason I sent it away was the over-bright sound I was getting. Mind you, part of the blame belongs to my AT cartridge, they always sound a bit on the bright side! And I am running in a new phono pre-amp as well. And the record deck (Rega P3) is also new to me (wish I still had my Xerxes!) Lots of variables there, but I'm convinced the speakers do err on the analytical side, as well as being a bit bass light in comparison to the Castle Harlechs they replaced. Luckily, I have a velodyne sub-woofer to pick up the slack...
Can't wait to get my arm back with Houdini decoupler, by all accounts it should clean up the sound field tremendously. :) We hope so...
Would love to hear what you think about the Houdini.
Always wondered if it would be better to simply spend the £300 on a new cartridge..... :)

Pueblo_Boy

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Even if you did spend on a new cartridge, you would still not be getting all the benefits from it...until you buy the Houdini as well! Think of it as spending £300 to save spending £'000s on a new arm. That's how I'm looking at it - a vast improvement, clearly heard, for "only" £300. Probably the most cost-effective purchase you could make to improve your sound..?
I will let you know how it sounds when I get my hands on it. I'm trying hard not to pre-judge it, but at the same time, I'm convinced it will make a vast improvement...if not, I can always send it back for a full £300 refund. That's how sure Funk is of its benefits - I don't think anyone has sent it back yet!

hilroy48

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
To be honest, i have had CM-5 And CM-8 the CM-8 sounded muddy compared to the 5's. I have a set of CM-10's in the basement now, i am waiting on my new Dynaudio contour s0 i speakers for the main floor.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts