Does a high signal-to-noise ratio equate to better sound quality?

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I would say, yes, better signal to noise means more clarity. Easier to hear details in the music. However, to fully realize that lack of noise you would typically need equally high performing components throughout the audio chain. For instance if your speakers are not highly revealing the quality of the signal produced by your DAC may be obscured.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
chunky70 said:
My Cambridge Audio DAC 100 has snr of 113 db. My Fiio D3 has snr of 95db. Both sound exactly the same.

As a general rule, higher signal to noise ratio is better.

However, electronics have got so good these days that they way surpass the abilities of humans to detect. In a normal domestic environment, noise 95dB below your loudest listening level would be undetectable. More so for noise 113dB below. Not surprising the Fiio and CA sound the same.

Other parameters arguably matter more, a flat frequency response for example. Here again, the magic of modern electronics means that most equipment of 'hifi standard' these days is extremely good.

Speakers are the area where there is most variation, they are imperfect mechanical systems and their performance is all over the place.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Not the be all and end all, but as already mentioned, can contribute to better sounding equipment. I wouldn't choose any product purely on any one single specification, no matter how good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts