Does a cd player really make THAT much of a difference?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

HDNumpty:...and here's my serious answer, which is of course ABSOLUTELY. Through the summer I upgraded my Marantz amp to the CA 840a and got some improvement, notably with fine detail on certain recordings. But only when I swopped my CA 640c for a far superior (but old-ish) Arcam in the last few weeks did I REALLY hear the difference your source can make. Elvis was almost in the building, but now he has entered...

So an old Arcam made you feel Elvis was there with you? Better let Thaiman know...ÿ

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
It depends. I find myself to be much more forgiving of the speakers. I just accept it as a different sound and enjoy its uniqueness. However, when it comes to sources, I'm at my most critical and it's either listenable or not listenable. Talking strictly about CDP's, of course.

I envy you for having acquired such a great CDP. Musical Fidelity, all their gimmicky products aside, make great sounding gears. Can't wait to hear all about it!ÿ

A

Anonymous

Moreover in my experience even the power cable on the Cd player can make a big difference.

jles.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Ok Guys, had the cd player up and running for a day now and first impressions are as follows. Unsurprisingly there is a big difference. The detail levels have gone through the roof and every thing sounds more "real". However, without doubt the biggest point of improvement is the bass. It feels as though it will knock holes into the wall. Its just a lot tighter than before. I for one did not think it was possible to get so much bass out of my speakers. Im off for another listen...

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Igg ive got bowers 805S not known for there bass i know but with my system and room they delve very deep (much to the annoyance of my housemate hehe!)

A

Anonymous

SHAXOS:Igg ive got bowers 805S not known for there bass i know but with my system and room they delve very deep (much to the annoyance of my housemate hehe!)
With that amp I can believe that you could now start road repairs. Breathtaking control and punch! The CDP has quite tight bass too, the first thing I noticed when upgrading from the Kandy MKIII. Sounds like you have quite a system now :)

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
You've got a killer system worth years of enjoyment.

I'm starting to think that having one brand electronics is better than trying to pull two best buys together.ÿI've witnessed this kind of synergy through Rega and Naim recently.

So many choices...ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts