Does 4K make a difference to the picture quality? Because I have now turned off HDR and Dolby Vision

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Series1boy said:
gel said:
As above.  Cheers.  

4k is the resolution and HDR and DV is a picture format, completely diffenernt things but 1 can’t live without the other.
Er. Actually they can.

I have a Samsung 6 series 4K that doesn't "do" HDR or Dolby Vision. The latter, of course, is not a public domain format like regular HDR in any of its evolutions, but instead is proprietary to Dolby. Manufacturers and media producers alike have to pay a licensing fee, which is why it has the same prognosis as the dodo circa 1650...

D

Deleted member 2457

Cheers guys, I kept switching between 1080p and 2160 resolution and there was a 5 second break and I couldn’t tell the difference. I would like to think I saw a difference. On Amazon Video on just 2160 Ultra hd I have seen some content look really good though, I suppose it depends whether it was shot in 4K. Yep, I have seen that Sony in action - cheers. Yep, you can can definitely switch between 4K, HDR and Dolby Vision.

Anything up scaled by the studio to 4K will have been done by some pretty serious equipment, so it will look good, and I guess not many would be ab,e to tell the difference unless they know what they’re looking for.

As for telling the difference between Bluray and UHD, don’t forget that if you’re using a UHD disc downscaled to 1080p, it can still look better than 1080p Bluray, so the differences won’t be as apparent - for any meaningful comparison, you need to compare a UHD disc against a Bluray Disc.

When looking for differences, don’t look at close ups of faces - even DVD can look impressive with that sort of shot. Find long shots of landscapes or cityscapes that are in focus - the difference between small details like leaves on trees or windows on buildings will be immediately apparent. This is where DVD falls down massively.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
one step further you need a calibrated native 1080p display

next to an equivalent native 4k display with all the modern formats - you will see the difference then

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
was a my local Richer Sounds, it was the first generation of 4K TV's (no HDR/Dolby Vision etc) and the only 4K demo material they had was a couple of video's on a usb stick, but still the difference between 1080p and 4K was clear, one of the videos was of a cityscape and the clarity and depth of the picture was amazing.

*music2*

D

Deleted member 2457

Cheers guys!
thumbs_up.png

D

Deleted member 2457

Which 4K Blu-rays are just 4K not HDR or Dolby Vision? Can you guys find any? Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

Sliced Bread said:
4K does make a bit of a difference in my experience, but it is HDR and the higher bitrate that really makes it special.

4k bluray kicks the butt of 4k netflix IMO and that's largely down to bitrate.
Hi, do you find any fuzziness or HDR or DV on your TV? And blacks look grey?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Let me start by saying most of the stuff we watch are compressed one way or the other even including blu rays. Don't let any tech or fancy words fool you. HDR on Netflix not too good. Too much grain introduced to most of their stuff. On the other hand, HDR on Amazon looks way better. Again no matter what format original mastering quality plays a big part also.

Most of the best 4k and HDR content I've seen till date comes from You Tube. Example a you tuber called MKBHD, his uploads are so pristine you immediately tell it's 4k. HDR is still not quite there yet. It's hit or miss most of the time. Even though I can update my TV set to DV I have decided not to at this moment in time till things settle dwn. So can't say much about Dolby Vision.

D

Deleted member 2457

Yes, definitely grainy that’s what I think I mean by fuzziness. Blacks grey too. Just watched a bit of Wonder Woman again and that had grain in it too. It looks horrible with too much grain and grey blacks! Can you do anything with the grain? Cheers.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
Yes, definitely grainy that’s what I think I mean by fuzziness.  Blacks grey too.  Just watched a bit of Wonder Woman again and that had grain in it too.  It looks horrible with too much grain and grey blacks!  Can you do anything with the grain?  Cheers.  
May be reducing sharpness might help a bit, but this could make movies look like a lens out of focus. Worth trying anyway Gone are the days of plug and play. More variety more problems

Don’t forget that any films heavily reliant on special effects will have been mastered at 2K. This can be noticeable when flicking between effects and non effects scenes, but if a film is pretty much green screen and effects all the way through, it won’t look as sharp as genuine 4K material, despite having been upscaled to 4K by high quality equipment for UHD release.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
HDR makes the picture look silly imo, no kidding.

Colours are all wrong and the picture too, the Picture is far too instrusive.

Till now, imho...... 4K with no HDR rubbish 'added' .......is far better to watch.

D

Deleted member 2457

Native_bon said:
gel said:
Yes, definitely grainy that’s what I think I mean by fuzziness. Blacks grey too. Just watched a bit of Wonder Woman again and that had grain in it too. It looks horrible with too much grain and grey blacks! Can you do anything with the grain? Cheers.
May be reducing sharpness might help a bit, but this could make movies look like a lens out of focus. Worth trying anyway Gone are the days of plug and play. More variety more problems
Yep, Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

davidf said:
Don’t forget that any films heavily reliant on special effects will have been mastered at 2K. This can be noticeable when flicking between effects and non effects scenes, but if a film is pretty much green screen and effects all the way through, it won’t look as sharp as genuine 4K material, despite having been upscaled to 4K by high quality equipment for UHD release.
Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

Alantiggger said:

Till now, imho...... 4K with no HDR rubbish 'added' .......is far better to watch.
Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

I am going to demo John Wick 1 and 2 next to see what I think of the blacks on that with and without HDR.

Sliced Bread

Alantiggger said:

I think it depends on the film but I know where you're comming from.

It's a bit like when colour TV's were introduced (Technicolour) and to proove it the films used every single colour they could think of in the opening credits. Quite a few HDR films / shows suffer the same as they are using every opportunity to show a light bulb, or overly bright light bursting through the window.

The best examples are those that are more natural and understated. The 4k HDR bluray version of Promethius is a great example. It looks both punchy and natural. It's a great example IMO and every scene is an improvement on the SDR bluray.

TRENDING THREADS