Question do you think modern class D amps are durable and reliability ?

Drugo

Jan 14, 2024
Visit site
hi
may I ask you your opinion and feedback about "modern" class D amps reliability ?

do you think modern class D amps are durable and reliability or are the "disposable" amps?
thanks

abacus

They have been around for years with older ones still going strong, plus they produce less heat (A killer of electronics) as well. (Early one's (1st generation) didn't sound too good though)

Bill

Reactions: DougK1

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Most amp's these days aren't repairable and very much disposable commodities. The smarter they get the harder they are to repair. Add in a micro processor into the mix that has programming onboard thats is custom to that device say a DSP chip, or the current in vogue FPGA chips then say good by to that device.

typology will have very little do with it.

Its why I go out my way to find the "dumbest" amps possible and surround that amp with out board devices

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
hi
may I ask you your opinion and feedback about "modern" class D amps reliability ?

do you think modern class D amps are durable and reliability or are the "disposable" amps?
thanks
haha, dude, class D amplifiers have been in use for 20 years and are more reliable than traditional ones :)

There are so many different designs, I don’t think they can be clumped together.

I’ve had my Primare I32 integrated since 2017 and it’s never missed a beat. I also had a Nord NC500DM and that likewise was faultless for two or three years. (I sold it to fund the Pass Labs, a class A design).

I recently bought a Fosi v3 for fun and that’s been excellent so far. That’s the nearest to ‘disposable’ thanks to its modest c.£100 price, but there’s not much to go wrong.

What type of amp are you thinking about?

Linn has been using Class D amps for a while now.

DG…
Assuming you're sure they are reliable whichever manufacturers uses them rather than just plugging one quite expensive example?
Loads of manufacturers now use them but this doesn't address the OPs question.
I would still question whether or no they have been around long enough to equate reliability to the Class A/B amps of old

Last edited:

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
Assuming you're sure they are reliable whichever manufacturers uses them rather than just plugging one quite expensive example?
Loads of manufacturers now use them but this doesn't address the OPs question.
I would still question whether or no they have been around long enough to equate reliability to the Class A/B amps of old
In answer to your direct question rather than the OPs initial question. Yes, they are to the first part and in answer to the second part, yes, too.

DG…

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts