Do more expensive amplifiers make a difference?

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
I think that this comes back to the point that I made earlier about it being the content of the music which contains all the emotion and the HiFi system used to reproduce the sound is just an objective and emotionless piece of electrical equipment.

Maybe we should add the ears to the "equipment"-part of it. So not [music --> hifi --> person], but [music --> hifi+ears --> brain]. After all the emotional aspect, the satisfaction, the pleasure of listening to music... it all happens in the brain. Strictly speaking, the ears are not paramount (nor the equipment), as trained musicians can 'hear' the music in their head, while reading a score. It also explains the weak correlation between the quality of your gear and the pleasure you find in listening to music.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
steve_1979 said:
I think that this comes back to the point that I made earlier about it being the content of the music which contains all the emotion and the HiFi system used to reproduce the sound is just an objective and emotionless piece of electrical equipment.

Maybe we should add the ears to the "equipment"-part of it. So not [music --> hifi --> person], but [music --> hifi+ears --> brain]. After all the emotional aspect, the satisfaction, the pleasure of listening to music... it all happens in the brain. Strictly speaking, the ears are not paramount (nor the equipment), as trained musicians can 'hear' the music in their head, while reading a score. It also explains the weak correlation between the quality of your gear and the pleasure you find in listening to music.

An interesting thought has just struck me as I sit here perusing this forum listening to Jason Boland, 'Live and loud at Billy Bobs Texas'.

I spent the bulk of my working life in and around live music of all kinds and find that, as with the album above, I have a profound preference for live recordings, be it classical, jazz and rock.

I have alwayd known that I like live recordings but I have never really thought about why, maybe I just hear it better by filling in, from my own experience, whatever is lacking in the recording?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
An interesting thought has just struck me as I sit here perusing this forum listening to Jason Boland, 'Live and loud at Billy Bobs Texas'.

I spent the bulk of my working life in and around live music of all kinds and find that, as with the album above, I have a profound preference for live recordings, be it classical, jazz and rock.

I have alwayd known that I like live recordings but I have never really thought about why, maybe I just hear it better by filling in, from my own experience, whatever is lacking in the recording?

I think there is something in your last sentence, thats probably why many pro musicians don't bother with expensive hifi.

Why are so few women interested in hifi?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
BigH said:

They're the strong sex! They don't need it! :)

Mrs DDC is a case in point, though as ever somewhat contradictory.

She rarely listens to music on the hi-fi, even back in our real home when we had the good system set up. On the other hand she does, on occasion, go to bed with the iPad and her pair of Sennheissers.

She also has music radio on in the car, something I simply can not do, if anything good comes on I get distracted and drive into things.

On the other hand if I arrange for us to go and see something live, anything from opera to a Deep Purple tribute act in a local pub, she is always up for it and invariably has a great time.

Women eh........

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
davedotco said:

I think there is something in your last sentence, thats probably why many pro musicians don't bother with expensive hifi.

Because they grow up?

iceman16

I've been reading this thread for quite a while but not the whole lot of it.Im not an engineer of some degree or whatsoever. And I don't really care what others may say.IME. "more does'nt mean better" or expensive does'nt mean better..We're goin round and round here.

manicm

BigH said:
manicm said:
BigH said:
If I had a 200W amp. I would not play it at 200W I would probably play at around 1w to 10W!

Then why the hell buy a 200w amp in the first place?

Well as you used car example why buy a car that goes 200mph if you can only drive it at 70mph?

I don't think you realise how loud 1w is, in my living room 1w will produce about 75dbs of loudness which I understand is a fairly average listening level, 10w will produce about 86dbs which is quite loud, 100w will produce 96dbs.

More watts is about control, less distortion and having plenty in reserve for those dynamic peaks you get in some music. For me 200W is probably a bit OTT at the moment but when I move the living maybe larger than my current 5m x3.5m room size, so no need to upgrade.

My question was rhetorical in case you didn't notice. I've had 2 more powerful amps than my Solo Mini and both were better at low volumes. So those who say (good quality) power means nothing are just talking through the hole.

manicm

BigH said:

More women and teenagers are interested in hifi than you'll ever know if you really have to ask the question. Remember a really good hifi turns you away from the equipment and toward the music itself. A really good system is more enjoyable to more people. Simple as that. You don't notice things like a lack of bass or clarity, or image depth etc. It just comes all togther.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
BigH said:
chebby said:
BigH said:

Ask some and report back.

I have and they say the either can't hear the difference or they are not bothered.

So why did you ask us if you've had the answer already?

I have only asked a few so just interested in people's opinions on here. And that only answers part of the question.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
chebby said:
BigH said:
chebby said:
BigH said:

Ask some and report back.

I have and they say the either can't hear the difference or they are not bothered.

So why did you ask us if you've had the answer already?

I have only asked a few so just interested in people's opinions on here. And that only answers part of the question.

But you are asking a (mostly) middle-aged. male, hobbyist/enthusiast audience why women aren't interested in hi-fi. You are only going to get a middle-aged, male, hobbyist/enthusiast response.

If I were you i'd give more credence to what women tell you rather than ask men what women think.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I know how women think about such things, Mrs DDC taught me with this simple lesson, it went like this......

Mrs DDC was buying a new car, a coupe. Dutifully she told me what she fancied and asked me what I thought. Equally dutifully, I did the research then showed her my findings and after a short discussion it was decided.

She went to the showroom and told them exactly what she wanted, no problem until, close to sealing the deal, the choice of colour came up. She said that she rather liked the silver grey or the rather nice blue (my favourite). They said she would have to wait 'several' months for either but they could supply the car in red or some sort of green in a matter of days.

No she said, she offered to take the silver grey demonstrator, saying that they could replace it with either the green or the red one, but they said they did not want a demonstrator in either of those colours. She said neither did she, and walked out.

Down the road to another dealership where she bought an alternative make, in red!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
davedotco said:
I know how women think about such things, Mrs DDC taught me with this simple lesson, it went like this......

Mrs DDC was buying a new car, a coupe. Dutifully she told me what she fancied and asked me what I thought. Equally dutifully, I did the research then showed her my findings and after a short discussion it was decided.

She went to the showroom and told them exactly what she wanted, no problem until, close to sealing the deal, the choice of colour came up. She said that she rather liked the silver grey or the rather nice blue (my favourite). They said she would have to wait 'several' months for either but they could supply the car in red or some sort of green in a matter of days.

No she said, she offered to take the silver grey demonstrator, saying that they could replace it with either the green or the red one, but they said they did not want a demonstrator in either of those colours. She said neither did she, and walked out.

Down the road to another dealership where she bought an alternative make, in red!

That sounds like what Mrs.M would do :rofl:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts