Do I really need an upgrade?-Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Merry Christmas everyone!

Heres my dilemma, I have a pair mordaunt short mezzo 6's connected via a pc to a dac-magic going to a cambridge audio 340a. A humble setup for most. To me it does sound fabulous though, theres a sense of synergy that I have in this system that I feel is missing from other much more expensive systems I have heard. Although, I am fully aware that I could and should use a more expensive amplifier with the Mezzos.

The problem is that I can now afford to upgrade, I am looking for something around the £1000 mark. I know I'll get more detail and better sound staging and a better grip on complex tracks. However, I can't help think that some of the 'magic' I hear in my current system might be sacrificed for other factors. We all, as audiophiles are on a journey to find the perfect system and to me I have almost found mine. Do you think at this point I should upgrade to a better amplifier? If so, then which one? I am looking for an amp that shares the current talents of my setup namely a balanced sound, clear smooth treble , smooth midrange and just enough bass. I loathe boomy bass and would have less than more in this case.

I have thought about the 840a from CA, but at this point I really want to venture to other brands to see what they are about, despite being a devoted CA fan.

So, "To buy, or not to buy, that is the question"

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Merry XMas shafesk,

I have the same floorstanders driven by an AVR, and although all my friend`s opinions are that it`s all great, I knew there is something missing. The Mezzo 6 are rated as very good speakers for the price . If you open the WHF Magazine , at the end, where the list of all units is , they have labeled the Mezzo 6 " possibly the best in their class ". This should be credible IMO. But I am sure that they have tested them with something serious. I`ve read a lot about the CA amps and were very keen of buying the 650 A. I`ve read a lot about the 340 A too, and although is a extremely capable small amp , I think that the big and heavy drivers of the Mezzo 6 , need something much more powerfull to shake them. Especially if you want to be able to hear all those details and low freqs at the low listening levels. That is why I think you should invest your money in something mid to high end , with as big as posible DAMPING FACTOR . The bigger the damping factor is, the more accurate is the bass, hence less BOOM. If you like the sound of the CA amps, then just go for them . From what I read the 840 should be a great match for the Mezzo`s.

If I had the chance, I would audition few amps, the CA`s and Marantz probably . But with regards to your question - I think the answer is YES, you should upgrade the 340 A for the Mezzo 6....but I`d still keep it for smaller speakers in another room :)

shafesk said:
Merry Christmas everyone!

Heres my dilemma, I have a pair mordaunt short mezzo 6's connected via a pc to a dac-magic going to a cambridge audio 340a. A humble setup for most. To me it does sound fabulous though, theres a sense of synergy that I have in this system that I feel is missing from other much more expensive systems I have heard. Although, I am fully aware that I could and should use a more expensive amplifier with the Mezzos.

The problem is that I can now afford to upgrade, I am looking for something around the £1000 mark. I know I'll get more detail and better sound staging and a better grip on complex tracks. However, I can't help think that some of the 'magic' I hear in my current system might be sacrificed for other factors. We all, as audiophiles are on a journey to find the perfect system and to me I have almost found mine. Do you think at this point I should upgrade to a better amplifier? If so, then which one? I am looking for an amp that shares the current talents of my setup namely a balanced sound, clear smooth treble , smooth midrange and just enough bass. I loathe boomy bass and would have less than more in this case.

I have thought about the 840a from CA, but at this point I really want to venture to other brands to see what they are about, despite being a devoted CA fan.

So, "To buy, or not to buy, that is the question"

The Mezzos deserve a better amp than Cambridge entry-level. If I was to buy an amp based on these MSs I'd be looking at Arcam A18 or A28, Creek Evo2, Roksan Kandy K2 or even my amp: Leema Pulse. It originally retailed at 1200 pounds and now a brand new model, albeit discontinued is now http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leema-Acoustics-Pulse-Integrated-Amplifier-Silver-NEW-/170751104266?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item27c18f150a

Fabulous amp: The bass is very tight, deep and fast; dynamic reach is very impressive with big band and classical music; more inputs than a cable thread:p and has a terrific phono stage.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestions, I was thinking of all the amps you guys recommended. The Leema interests me particularly, having heard its praises from the forums. What I wonder is whether the Leema would push my speakers into harshness and also not produce enough bass weight. One of the forum member uses them with a particularly bass heavy B&W, while it works in that set up, the Mezzo are not bass heavy by any measure. Any thoughts?

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I've got some thoughts on this.

Try and audition a Marantz pearl lite( good value at the moment) or a Rotel 1520

But my gut would be something like the XTZ A100 D3 available on line. should really give them what they want

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
moon said:

Try and audition a Marantz pearl lite( good value at the moment) or a Rotel 1520

But my gut would be something like the XTZ A100 D3 available on line. should really give them what they want

Thank you for the suggestion.

Im well aware of the Marantz and MS synergy that some love, however as you see in my signature I own a pm5004 cd player and was left a bit wanting with the combo myself. I ended up plugging the Marantz into the DacMagic and it sounded much better. While the combo is good, I felt the Marantz lacked in treble expression and gave too much bass emphasis for my liking. Feeding it into the dac-magic now gives me the sound I like, with better and clearer treble response as well as the right amount of bass emphasis. I am a fan of a dynamic sound which I don't feel Marantz provides. I'm no stranger to Marantz kit, I also live with a Marantz pm6004, again not a big fan. Will check out the XTZ A100 D3, thanks for the suggestion :)

shafesk said:
moon said:

Thank you for the suggestion.

Im well aware of the Marantz and MS synergy that some love, however as you see in my signature I own a pm5004 cd player and was left a bit wanting with the combo myself. I ended up plugging the Marantz into the DacMagic and it sounded much better. While the combo is good, I felt the Marantz lacked in treble expression and gave too much bass emphasis for my liking. Feeding it into the dac-magic now gives me the sound I like, with better and clearer treble response as well as the right amount of bass emphasis. I am a fan of a dynamic sound which I don't feel Marantz provides. I'm no stranger to Marantz kit, I also live with a Marantz pm6004, again not a big fan. Will check out the XTZ A100 D3, thanks for the suggestion :)

The Leema can be tweeter sensitive, but if you're acoustics are okay that shouldn't be a problem. As regards the lack of bass, it is total eye-wash. Perhaps, side-by-side with a Caspian and Naim XS there's a tiny shortfall in bass extension; what the leema lacks in extension or depth it more than makes up for in bass power. And in isolation, packs as big a punch as any...

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Well,If you haven`t bought one ( amp ) yet, I could give you a very good idea of how well the Leema Pulse drives Mezzo 6`s as I am waiting for my one to arrive some time next week, and I have the Mezzo`s too...

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Atanas Rangelov said:
Well,If you haven`t bought one ( amp ) yet, I could give you a very good idea of how well the Leema Pulse drives Mezzo 6`s as I am waiting for my one to arrive some time next week, and I have the Mezzo`s too...

That'll be great, looking forward to hearing your thoughts

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts