Do I place my sub on a concrete block

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Please can someone advise . I have rel r328sub the floor is wooden with carpet on top ,do I use the concrete block with the spikes provided or do I discard the concrete block and use the spikes on the carpeted floor , please help its vibrating a lot at the moment .

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
My sub tends to slide around on my granite slab, was watching Tron Legacy which is a Bass heavy soundtrack but I could hear sub scraping as it moved on the granite, think il attach the rubber feet back on!

michael hoy

sta99y said:
My sub tends to slide around on my granite slab, was watching Tron Legacy which is a Bass heavy soundtrack but I could hear sub scraping as it moved on the granite, think il attach the rubber feet back on!

Good point, I have mine on the rubber feet covering the spikes but never had it moving when it was on the spikes.

Must be giving it a good workout :)

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
michael hoy said:
sta99y said:

Good point, I have mine on the rubber feet covering the spikes but never had it moving when it was on the spikes.

Must be giving it a good workout :)
Ha ha, I actually thought it could of sounded better, only just got it so needs time to settle into its surroundings and tune it so it's playing as it should. Going to attach rubber feet and give it a whirl :)

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
The sub should not vibrate. Only the driver. Definaty not as much as to make it move or the cabinet vibration to produce sound.Possible reason the level setting on it is too high?

What settings have you got on it for level and cut off?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
The sub should not vibrate. Only the driver. Definaty not as much as to make it move or the cabinet vibration to produce sound.Possible reason the level setting on it is too high?

What settings have you got on it for level and cut off?

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Ah, Harvey Hi-Fi, the 1st correct reply! Mass loading the subwoofer enclosure can work wonders to the transient capabilities of the transducer. Newton's 3rd law and all that!

michael hoy

proffski said:
Ah, Harvey Hi-Fi, the 1st correct reply! Mass loading the subwoofer enclosure can work wonders to the transient capabilities of the transducer. Newton's 3rd law and all that!

That is all good and well, but if your sub has controls on the top, it becomes a non starter.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I presumed it has moved as sub isn't extremely heavy, in fact I thought it was going to be bigger and heavier than it is. So are you saying to place on the granite slab then place a concrete block on top??

Setup below

Gain at 11 o'clock, dial turned to theatre, freq turned to 150htz as amp/BD crosses at 80htz and LFE switch is turned to on.

Does this sound correct? Oh phase at 0.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
This one?

Tannoy_TS10_(003).jpg

Try reducing extension to 40 +/- 5, try reducing gain, try changing phase (is it set corectly? if not, the driver may be flapping too much but without producing enough volume of sound), try switching off the LFE mode. Crossover - are you sure teh amp/bd only sending frequencies below 80 tot he sub? if not, reduce crossover setting to nearer to 80 or 70. Basically, try to get the driver to work more cocmfortably, it may be too much for it - the sub should not vibrate and move around.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
This one?

Tannoy_TS10_(003).jpg

Try reducing extension to 40 +/- 5, try reducing gain, try changing phase (is it set corectly? if not, the driver may be flapping too much but without producing enough volume of sound), try switching off the LFE mode. Crossover - are you sure teh amp/bd only sending frequencies below 80 tot he sub? if not, reduce crossover setting to nearer to 80 or 70. Basically, try to get the driver to work more cocmfortably, it may be too much for it - the sub should not vibrate and move around.
Yes this is the one.

I will definitely give it a try, as my CA BD player does the bass management for HD Audio it crosses over at 80htz for defo. Amp itself is set at 80htz too but I will try moving LFE switch.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts