Do I need HDMI 1.4 cables for all 3D equipment?

stonehound

May 2, 2008
Visit site
I was wondering if I would need to replace my existing HDMI cables with the 1.4 spec cables. I have a new 3D TV, an AV amp which doesn't have 3D pass through and a Sky HD box. Presumbably I would connect HDMI from Sky to TV and optical from Sky to amp.

I intend the replace the amp soon to one with 3D capabailities so can route the HDMI into the amp then HDMI from amp to TV. Would both cables need to be 1.4 spec?

Thanks!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
...And as Sky doesn't use the full 1080p 3D spec of, say Blu-ray, standard cables and equipment will do – not to mention the fact that even with an amp with 3D passthrough you'll still need that optical cable from the Sky HD box, unless Sky ever changes its policy on surround over HDMI.

In general terms, most HDMI cables should be capable of passing 3D, and many maufacturers have found their existing pre-3D models up to the task. The High Speed specification – as we now have to call what used to be HDMI 1.4 – merely guarantees that the cable will do the job, not that all cables not designated as such won't.
smiley-wink.gif

daveh75

Any HDMI cable (standard or high speed) will be fine for the SkyHD box. As it's not proper full HD 3D, they squeeze two 960x1080 images side-by-side into a 1920x1080 frame. Their H/W is only HDMI 1.2 compliant.

You would need High Speed cables for 3D Blu-Ray though.

No such thing as an HDMI 1.4 (or 1.1, 1.2 etc for that matter) cable btw. It's a H/W spec thats been adopted by cable manufacturers for BS marketing purposes.

http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/buying_guide.aspx

TRENDING THREADS