Do I need an upscaling receiver?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all, I’m a long time reader of the site and magazine but a first time poster.

I'm currently in the very happy situation of finally taking the plunge on my new home cinema. I'm in the market for an AV Receiver but currently torn between the new Sony STR-DN1010 and the also new well respected Onkyo TX-SR608. Putting audio capabilities to one side for a minute my question relates to image quality.

Having browsed the net and the user manuals it seems the Sony doesn’t upscale HDMI to 1080p whereas the Onkyo does. I would like to get the Sony as most of the other gear is Sony and the compatibility advantages (BRAVIA Home Theatre etc) are desirable, but without the HDMI upscaling will I notice much loss in image quality on say SD TV or DVD versus my TV and/or PS3’s upscaling capability?

I should add that I currently have a KDL-40W4500 and PS3 (looking to eventually get a BDP S570 but that’s a bit further down the line for now).

Look forward to your opinions!

A

Anonymous

I have wanted to know this as well as my SKY hd box on SD is not that great and I have a brand new 1080p lcd.

I have a pioneer VSX819 which does not upscale video

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
bobsworth:
Hello all, I'm a long time reader of the site and magazine but a first time poster.

I'm currently in the very happy situation of finally taking the plunge on my new home cinema. I'm in the market for an AV Receiver but currently torn between the new Sony STR-DN1010 and the also new well respected Onkyo TX-SR608. Putting audio capabilities to one side for a minute my question relates to image quality.

Having browsed the net and the user manuals it seems the Sony doesn't upscale HDMI to 1080p whereas the Onkyo does. I would like to get the Sony as most of the other gear is Sony and the compatibility advantages (BRAVIA Home Theatre etc) are desirable, but without the HDMI upscaling will I notice much loss in image quality on say SD TV or DVD versus my TV and/or PS3's upscaling capability?

I should add that I currently have a KDL-40W4500 and PS3 (looking to eventually get a BDP S570 but that's a bit further down the line for now).

Look forward to your opinions!

I've just read this about the Sony, "The receiver also features an icon-driven menu system for simple device and content navigation and has the ability to upscale analog video sources to 1080p resolution via HDMI. The model also boasts a sleek piano black gloss design that matches Sony's line of Blu-ray Disc players and televisions.".

Do you mean upscaling hdmi connection to 1080p? If so, I would not worry. If you have SD sources, the Sony will upscale to 1080p, if you have a DVD player with hdmi connectivity, it will probably upscale itself. PS3, the same. Bluray, no need to upscale as it's 1080p anyway.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:Do you mean upscaling hdmi connection to 1080p? If so, I would not worry. If you have SD sources, the Sony will upscale to 1080p, if you have a DVD player with hdmi connectivity, it will probably upscale itself. PS3, the same. Bluray, no need to upscale as it's 1080p anyway.

Thanks for your reply. Sorry if I didn't make it clear in my original post but yes I meant it doesn't upscale HDMI sources, but does upscale other inputs like component.

As you say the PS3 certainly does upscale SD, but I guess what I was specifically after knowing was whether or not it upscales as well as say the Onkyo receiver - or more specifically am likely to see a discernable difference between the two?

A

Anonymous

I'm pretty sure my STR-DA5300ES only upscales analog inputs and not HDMI inputs so it probably wouldnt touch the SKY HD signal, although I could be wrong.

EDIT : Ah we posted at the same time ;-)

A

Anonymous

Sorry to hijack I thought the OP was asking if the 1080p upscale would be a marked improvment in picture on SD shows from the Sky box ect?

Thats what I was asking anyway... LOL

Thanks

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
canada16:
Sorry to hijack I thought the OP was asking if the 1080p upscale would be a marked improvment in picture on SD shows from the Sky box ect?

Thats what I was asking anyway... LOL

Thanks

At this level, I don't expect the receiver's upscaling will be much different to the Sky HD box to be honest. Certainly not worrying about - I watch nearly all the programmes I want in HD now anyway.

Back to the OP, I wouldn't worry about hdmi upscaling. As I've said, your screen or source (DVD/PS3 player) will probably be a match anyway. I'm here to be shot down though!

Now going up a level and in to the £1k+ receivers, I would expect them to be be worth the bother.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:screen or source (DVD/PS3 player) will probably be a match anyway. I'm here to be shot down though! Now going up a level and in to the £1k+ receivers, I would expect them to be be worth the bother.

I hope you're right. I have found my PS3 upscaling straight into the TV to be a little soft but perhaps I'm being fussy and hoped that recent Faroudja upscaling chips as on the Onkyo unit may have made a big difference but probably not, probably not enough to influence my choice of AV receiver in any case.

Cheers again for you input.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts