Do i need a pre-amp?

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the post but i can't find an answer to my query.

I have an oppo105 that has a pre-amp.I want to add an amp to my system to improve above all things,stereo playback.So does this mean that i dont need an integrated amp?

Budget is 1k at the moment.

Advice realy appreciated

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Depends.

.......on how good the pre-amp is in the Oppo (say compared to that in the M3i).......and I can't help with that I'm afraid.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
There is a thread on avforums dedicated to the pre amp on the oppo,but as yet i havn't seen any response(with authority)

I'm going to demo the m3i along with the naim xs but untill then was just wondering if a power amp would be the way to go, as Duaplex metioned that this was the route he wants to take,although he didn't mention the pro's & cons with both set-ups.I have read alot of info since and am probably more confused :oops:

Cheers for your input tho cno...always appreciated mate :cheers:

Edit:I should also add that i use 5.1 analogue connectors from the 105 into the avr for all things stereo & multichannel.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Tbh i just want what is right to get the best out of the 105,and the R100's.

I havn't even used the oppo's volume control,as for connections i have no idea as to how it would work as i cant find any info,or if i have found it understood it,but if it conects to a power amp by rca then no :oops:

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
If all your source switching is done on the Oppo, why add aditional stages unless you need them? If the volume control works well on the Oppo - even less reason to not connect it straight into a power amp. Presuming the Oppo always powers up either at low volume or the last set volume, no you don't need a preamp/integrated.

Check for yourself though. Either take the Oppo into a dealer or borrow a power amp to try at home to confirm that theory matches practice!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts