Question Do I need a phono preamp?

Frosty125

Aug 13, 2020
Visit site
Hello, I'm moving in to a new place and was looking at getting a record player which has no phono preamp built in. I have a set of powered speakers (M-Audio AV30's) from my previous studio setup. Each speaker has a 10 watt amp in but I'm not sure if I'll need a separate phono preamp still. There is a left and right RCA connection on the speaker where the power cable connects. If I do need one I have a tiny budget and was looking at a Beringer pp400 any recommendations?

Gray

Hello, I'm moving in to a new place and was looking at getting a record player which has no phono preamp built in. I have a set of powered speakers (M-Audio AV30's) from my previous studio setup. Each speaker has a 10 watt amp in but I'm not sure if I'll need a separate phono preamp still. There is a left and right RCA connection on the speaker where the power cable connects. If I do need one I have a tiny budget and was looking at a Beringer pp400 any recommendations?
Yes you need one Frosty and the PP400 is likely to be as good as any at the price.

Frosty125

Aug 13, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Gray, much appreciated. My budget is about £250 to 270. I was looking to put the majority of it toward a Rega Planar 1 and get the PP400. Could I get a better sound from splitting the ratio of budget player_preamp 150:100 etc?

Gray

Thanks for the reply Gray, much appreciated. My budget is about £250 to 270. I was looking to put the majority of it toward a Rega Planar 1 and get the PP400. Could I get a better sound from splitting the ratio of budget player_preamp 150:100 etc?
You've got the right idea, best not to compromise on the TT (not least because it would allow nicely for any future amp / speaker upgrades).
I see that the P1 Plus is £330 which is quite a bit above your budget, shame.
If you could up the budget on the preamp, it might be worthwhile for you. (Just noticed a Project Phono box is only £50 for example - not that it would necessarily be night and day better than the PP400. Listening is always the best decider of course - not easy to demo though I know).

Reactions: Frosty125

Frosty125

Aug 13, 2020
Visit site
Afternoon Gray. Thank you for your detailed reply. I'll probably go for the Rega Planar 1 with the pp400 for now. I've stretched my money as far as I can with furniture etc for my new place and wanted a decent TT with what I had left over. I was looking at the P1 Plus also but I doubt I can stretch my money or leave some items out to be comfortable. I've heard and read good reviews on this site about the Rega Planar 1 and was thinking if I get that I can upgrade the other equipment after a while. Thanks again for your help

Frosty125

Aug 13, 2020
Visit site
You've got the right idea, best not to compromise on the TT (not least because it would allow nicely for any future amp / speaker upgrades).
I see that the P1 Plus is £330 which is quite a bit above your budget, shame.
If you could up the budget on the preamp, it might be worthwhile for you. (Just noticed a Project Phono box is only £50 for example - not that it would necessarily be night and day better than the PP400. Listening is always the best decider of course - not easy to demo though I know).
Hello again Gray

I can get the RP1 plus now after a couple of hours of negotiations to free an extra £60. So am I better off with the RP1 plus rather than the RP1 connected to the pp400?

Gray

Hello again Gray

I can get the RP1 plus now after a couple of hours of negotiations to free an extra £60. So am I better off with the RP1 plus rather than the RP1 connected to the pp400?
That's good news Frosty.
(I actually worked for Rega for a little while, but believe me I wasn't just trying to get you to give them more money - and I don't want you to have to sit on the floor in your new place).
But yes, if you can stretch to P1 Plus, Rega's own built-in preamp will (almost certainly) be better than the PP400.

You might want to see if anyone comes along with any better value suggestions (Project, for example, is another favoured brand) but I really don't think you would regret getting the Rega.

Whatever you do, let us know how it goes and good luck with the move.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frosty125

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts