Do I have a hearing problem ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm 42 years old and never been diagnosed with any hearing problems. I have not worked in an industry where hearing damage can be caused. But every time I listen to music - whether it be on a PC, hi-fi separates system, in-car stereo, I always want to turn the treble control (when there is one) up, because otherwise things just sound so, well, flat and muffled. To me, turning up the treble makes music sound 'crisp' if you know what I mean - the crash of a cymbal sounds, for example, more like it does in real life, to my ears. Now I am aware that it appears to be sacrilege and somewhat embarrassing to admit using tone controls on a serious hi-fi forum, and I know there are posts about this already. but this is not one of those "I secretly use tone controls, do you still love me" kind of threads - I'm seriously wondering if my hearing might be deficient, given this need I seem to have to crank up the higher frequencies to arrive at a pleasant listening experience. Any thoughts?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
A lot of opticians will do a hearing test for you.

Once you have put your mind at rest - that your hearing is ok - then you can relax about your dirty little secret (fiddling with tone controls) and just put it down to taste.

Some people like a lot of salt and pepper or ketchup on food, some people like to sprinkle sugar on breakfast cereal. You like to 'spice up' the treble on your hifi. It's exactly what the manufacturer intended when they put tone controls on it.

For what it's worth, I think all hifi amplifiers/receivers should have tone controls (or some kind of user adjustable EQ).

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I am the complete opposite & like a lot of bass, the only problem is i have neighbours.
smiley-smile.gif

sometimesuk

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
As well as what was mentioned in the linked post, about our top hearing frequency being reduced as we grow older...

I once read a forum post, by Ashley of AVI, he made a good point that as we grow older, we lose about 10db sensitivity in hearing, making it harder to hear.

He was making the point, that its even more important to have a good hifi as you get older, as you want your hifi to sound as clear as possible.

You turning up the treble confirms that higher frequencies are now harder to hear, and need more emphasis. Prehaps this is a good excuse to upgrade the hifi!

A

Anonymous

ha, ha, yes, I may have an excuse to upgrade, but, sadly, not the funds. Hmm, food and clothes for the kids versus upgrading the hi-fi, it's tempting, but I think I'll put the family first ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts