do b&w 684s have a sharp treble? ??

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
At last i got to hear a pair of 684s with some audiolab stuff even though it was just a short demo i was very happy, however ive just read a five star reveiw that still.said there was a harsh treble which is the problem im having with my current speakers. I just wondered if any current 684 owner cld shed some light on this before i buy them. I also heard rx6 and was not impressed. One more thing do the 684s sound better single wired? ? Thanks for any help..

A

Anonymous

Hi audioaddict,

I have 684s with my system and I've never found them harsh, in fact I'd say that the treble is very natutral sounding. When I first auditioned them I also tried the RX6s and found them pretty bright and harsh (although they'd obviously sound fine in different setups).

Also in my experience the 684s sound much better with the jumper bars removed. I remember a guy here on the forum commenting that when he did this he felt as though he'd upgraded his speakers and that was exactly how it seemed to me too, with better separation and more presence in the treble. Initially I used Chord Odyssey jumper cables but now I biwire with QED Revelation.

I'm not familiar with most of your existing kit I'm afraid so I can only relate experiences with my own hardware but I hope it helps you a little with deciding whether or not to make a purchase.

All the best & good luck!

AKMH

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi Audioaddict, I have never found my 684s to have harsh treble. In fact they sound quite balanced in my current setup. Incidentally, I initially thought of biwiring with the QED silver anniversary speaker cable, but decided to invest in the higher quality QED Revelation for single-wiring. However, I also replaced the jumper bars with Chord Signature Links which enhanced the sense of spaciousness and separation around instruments (I mostly listen to instrumental acoustic music). Other people have reported even more significant benefits by biamping the 684s.

AKMH

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
You're very welcome Audioaddict. If you do decide to go for the 684s you won't be disappointed as they are excellent performing speakers and great value.

ChesterG, just curious how your 684s sound biwired with QED Revelation, compared to single-wired or with the Chord links that you initially used? Is the improvement/difference substantial or subtle? How was the audio quality affected? Thanks for your comments!

A

Anonymous

AKMH said:
You're very welcome Audioaddict. If you do decide to go for the 684s you won't be disappointed as they are excellent performing speakers and great value.

ChesterG, just curious how your 684s sound biwired with QED Revelation, compared to single-wired or with the Chord links that you initially used? Is the improvement/difference substantial or subtle? How was the audio quality affected? Thanks for your comments!

The big difference for me was between 'single-wired with supplied jumper bars' and 'single-wired with the Chord links'. The improvement was marked, almost as though I was trying out a different pair of speakers. When I biwired with the Revelation (mainly an investment for possible future biamping) the difference was much subtler and probably resulted from the differing characteristics of the QED and the Chord Oddy 2 speaker cables I'd been using previously.

It was hard to discern any actual improvement to be honest between single runs of Revelation and biwired but I certainly didn't detect any worsening either. On balance (and especially if you'll be buying plugs like I did instead of bare wire) I'd say it's probably not worth the extra cost.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts