Ditch 4K native projector for HDR?

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Not posted in a while, but I figured now is a good time as any to come back. :)

So I have a dilemma and I find myself in two minds

Should I go ahead and change my Sony VW500ES projector for an Epson 9300 projector?

My current projector is 4K native, with not HDR, while the Epson has 4K upscaling and support for HDR.

I will be upgrading to the New Oppo 203 and primarily buyuing UHD, HDR movies.

Is the upgrade wise/worth it?

Thanks

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I think it all comes down to how desparate you want HDR.

Your PJ is no slouch, and will still look stunning despite not having HDR. It is also native 4K, and uses a high quality optical system, so you're free to view as large a picture as you want and it'll still look great.

How does the Epson compare in this regard? Whilst native 4K isn't so much of an issue with smaller screen TVs, and upscaled 1080p can look great, it is larger screens where this genuine extra resolution will show its hand.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You might not want to spend the money but the Sony VW550 is out soon that is supposed to improve HDR.

HDR seems hit and miss on most projectors going by reports from people.

Phil Hinton and Steve Withers on AVF and have JVC X5000 / X7000 and they HDR is too dark.

I dont think PJ's are there yet for HDR, needs the new JVC Laser level of PJ and I would be considering the Epson 10500 with the Laser Light Source before jumping into anything.

You must demo HDR on a PJ as well to see what you think.

I have seen the Sony VW520 and it looked good in HDR for certain content - but others are reporting issues.

Too Early to jump in now imo

D

Deleted member 2457

With HDR on the Panasonic ub900 I didn't see much of a difference between HDR on or off. In fact Blu Ray looked more nature.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
Good to see you after a long time duaplex! I would suggest you stick to your current projector for the next year or two when there will be more choice and HDR would have improved by then.

Thanks BB. I have been busy with work and life matters, but back now :)

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
So it seems the general consenseus is to hold fire and not change the projector. I will be holding on for now until they release something that is bright enough and native 4K.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts