Dirty Harry BluRay BoxSet

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
A whole penny cheaper than Play was yesterday! Clare was right though, Play are back up to £29.99 now!

Apparently the picture's pretty good but the sound doesn't make much use of the surround effects (the original film was Mono.).

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:

A whole penny cheaper than Play was yesterday! Clare was right though, Play are back up to £29.99 now!

Apparently the picture's pretty good but the sound doesn't make much use of the surround effects (the original film was Mono.).

My apologies the_lhc i missed that yesterday, been busy lately........

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Torres09:the_lhc:A whole penny cheaper than Play was yesterday! Clare was right though, Play are back up to £29.99 now!

My apologies the_lhc i missed that yesterday, been busy lately........

No apology necessary, I got side-tracked yesterday and forgot to order it from Play, I'm glad you brought it to my attention! Many thanks.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
This turned up on Tuesday, so I sat down and watched the first half hour of Dirty Harry (got snowed in at home, couldn't get up the lane to go to work, buh-mer...).

As with most WB blu-rays it loads quick and goes straight into the film, defaulting to the normal Dolby Digital soundtrack, rather than the TrueHD version, although in this case it doesn't appear to matter, as, to my ears at least, the two soundtracks are EXACTLY the same, I flicked backward and forward between them during the opening (and frankly Jazz-tastically awesome Lalo Schifrin) theme tune and couldn't hear any difference, the blu-ray player was showing the TrueHD soundtrack as 48Khz, so it looks like a straight repackaging of the previous DD soundtrack. There isn't much going on in the surrounds anyway to be honest, I noticed one helicopter panning off the left rear in the time I was watching but not much more than that really.

Visually it looks nice, again I don't think very much has been done, it's better than the DVD (although I haven't actually tried upscaling the DVD version, might give that a go at some point, for comparison) but clearly the image hasn't been clened up much or remastered, there's easily visible dirt spots on the lens in some of the opening rooftop scenes and a few hairs here and there, so this is no Dr. No job, however it's pleasing enough. There's a modicum of grain but it gives it a very filmic feel, which is entirely correct for a film of this era.

As yet I haven't watched any of the others to see how they fare, but I'd say, at the price I paid, £17.98, it's worth it if you don't have the DVDs and if you're a big enough fan (I am) worth it even if you have got the DVDs. If you're paying the usual £30+ price for it though, well, I wouldn't like to say.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts