Directional speaker cable..

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
oh yeah ok you're right , but if I happened to stumble across this rubbish, other people might find it also.

Having threads that even make claims about directional speaker cables damage the credibiilty of this forum.

It's un-scientific and ignorant and so obviously false it insults the intellect and detracts from the credibility of information on here. It's pure misinformation.

If it is so out of date then it should be deleted.
I love the arrogance of posters who believe that their beliefs are the only correct ones.

Does someone else’s beliefs affect your life. No. Then just move on and enjoy your Hi-Fi and music.

DG…

Hugh Jarse

Jan 22, 2022
Visit site
I love the arrogance of posters who believe that their beliefs are the only correct ones.

Does someone else’s beliefs affect your life. No. Then just move on and enjoy your Hi-Fi and music.

DG…
To cure his 'arrogance' perhaps you should explain to him how a cable can be directional.

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
To cure his 'arrogance' perhaps you should explain to him how a cable can be directional.
Don’t care whether cables are directional or not.

Just don’t like his attitude that his opinion is the only correct one.

Each to their own opinions, just don’t try to preach your belief to others.

DG…

Gray

Don’t care whether cables are directional or not.
It's good that you don't care.
But, with respect, it's the fact that they are not that's crucial here DG.

You see some people firmly believe that the earth is flat (they've got theories to back up their belief).

Using your logic, anyone challenging their belief, describing it as clearly rubbish, could be classed as arrogant.

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
It's good that you don't care.
But, with respect, it's the fact that they are not that's crucial here DG.

You see some people firmly believe that the earth is flat (they've got theories to back up their belief).

Using your logic, anyone challenging their belief, describing it as clearly rubbish, could be classed as arrogant.
Don’t mind someone challenging a belief, that’s the point of a Forum and discussion.

The arrogance is calling for a moderator to close a thread because some other posters have a different belief.

DG…

Last edited:
Reactions: Friesiansam
Don’t mind someone challenging a belief, that’s the point of a Forum and discussion.

The arrogance is calling for a moderator to close a thread because some other posters have a different belief.

DG…
you are correct there. The thread remains as it is unlikely to be deleted merely because it's a tad old especially when he was the one that trawled all that way back to rekindle the topic. Nor simply because someone doesn't see the point of it.

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
you are correct there. The thread remains as it is unlikely to be deleted merely because it's a tad old especially when he was the one that trawled all that way back to rekindle the topic. Nor simply because someone doesn't see the point of it.
Thank you for confirming that.

DG…

D

Deleted member 201267

If using a basic speaker cable, such as QED 79 strand, then no it is not directional.

HOWEVER...

I have read that some speaker cables (and interconnects) are directional because they use a shield system that is connected at one length of the cable only.

THEREFORE...

This requires the cable to be connected in a certain direction as indicated by the arrows printed on the cable.

Reactions: Gray
If using a basic speaker cable, such as QED 79 strand, then no it is not directional.

HOWEVER...

I have read that some speaker cables (and interconnects) are directional because they use a shield system that is connected at one length of the cable only.

THEREFORE...

This requires the cable to be connected in a certain direction as indicated by the arrows printed on the cable.
Posssibly, but I cannot see what difference it will make to the sound whichever end is connected to the shield.
I can see how it might make a difference in a speaker cable where only the amplifier is grounded but not in an interconnect where the equipment at either end both have grounds.

D

Deleted member 201267

Posssibly, but I cannot see what difference it will make to the sound whichever end is connected to the shield.
Me neither but, its what i have read, regarding the reasoning for directional cables.

Its interesting how Nordost, makers of the silly expensive Odin Gold speaker cable, do not use any shielding but still use arrows to indicate the cable is directional !

Reactions: Al ears

Gray

HOWEVER...

THEREFORE...

Yes, you're talking about the type of interconnect cables described as 'Pseudo Balanced'.

But there's no need to show the direction of any other cables.
(No need, but that doesn't stop them doing it of course).

Friesiansam

Me neither but, its what i have read, regarding the reasoning for directional cables.

Its interesting how Nordost, makers of the silly expensive Odin Gold speaker cable, do not use any shielding but still use arrows to indicate the cable is directional !

You do have to wonder how gullible, rich knobs have to be, to buy such cables.

D

Deleted member 201267

You do have to wonder how gullible, rich knobs have to be, to buy such cables.
For the price of a set of those Nordost speaker cables you could buy a complete hifi set up that, if perfectly matched to the listening room, would produce a sound so good it simply could not be bettered.

Reactions: Friesiansam

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
"But now the story goes it's the wire's directionality when it is being drawn out of the die that the copper was pulled through, thus realigning the crystal structure in such a way as to make it sound better or worse depending on source or receiver side."

Whether sound quality differences can be perceived or not is another matter.

All my cables are in the 'correct' direction but that's my ocd kicking in!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts