Directional speaker cable..

Leon Martin

Mar 19, 2020
Visit site
I’ve just discovered that my speaker cables are ‘directional’ and I had one of them connected the wrong way around. Intrigued, I corrected my mistake and fired up one of my favourite tracks in nervous anticipation :) -I know speaker cables are a contentious subject but I do like to keep an open mind. Anyway I didn’t detect a speck of difference. However, I’m still intrigued with the concept of a directional cable so can anyone explain the theory of operation ?

D

Deleted member 108165

However, I’m still intrigued with the concept of a directional cable so can anyone explain the theory of operation?
Simple, there isn't one :) Directional cable is a myth.

Caveat: Unless the cable has built in attenuation requiring it to be fitted a certain way.

Reactions: clanking and Noddy

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
After removing the bell-wire I was quite impressed with a cable upgrade, tried it again twice after that and it didn't make a jot of difference.
Bi-wiring: nope
Upgraded digital cables: nope (although I buy decent lookers)
I've become a bit of a wire sceptic...

D

Deleted member 160668

Don't worry about it. Pointless and does nada... I've spent loads of time with mini tweaks and expensive rabbit holes.

Absolutely seriously, the best hifi upgrade you can do for free is to go and get your ears syringed. Seriously. I'm mid 30's and the difference was so marked it was unbelievable.

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Don't worry about it. Pointless and does nada... I've spent loads of time with mini tweaks and expensive rabbit holes.

Absolutely seriously, the best hifi upgrade you can do for free is to go and get your ears syringed. Seriously. I'm mid 30's and the difference was so marked it was unbelievable.
Should have had them done one at a time so you could do a direct comparison!

You try getting your ears syringed in the UK, it simply isn't done anymore and your comment is pretty irrelevant when it comes to the directionality of cables.

Reactions: stereoman
D

Deleted member 108165

Surely even if it does have built in attenuators it will work in either position.?
Apparently not as Rothwell sell attenuators for either end of the interconnect, they are not interchangeable.

An signal gets transmitted along a cable, it does not matter at which end the attenuation takes place unless my physics is all to f+ck....
Rothwell attenuators are fitted between components in line with interconnect cables usually and have nothing to do with speaker cables

D

Deleted member 108165

An signal gets transmitted along a cable, it does not matter at which end the attenuation takes place unless my physics is all to f+ck....
Rothwell attenuators are fitted between components in line with interconnect cables usually and have nothing to do with speaker cables
Quite correct Al, this has nothing to do with speaker cables... I was getting confused :oops: Thanks for putting me back on track (y)

All, please disregard my posts here :)

Reactions: Dom
D

Deleted member 116933

From a manufacturing perspective cable has a direction/grain which is formed when drawn through a die. And yes the microscopic structure is aligned a certain way and can easily been seen through a microscope. BUT the marketing for these companies have clearly just been reading the engineering handbook and took it as gospel.
and will make no difference in sound and i have auditioned aswell which hurt my product design/engineering heart.

Really the only thing markings do, is allow newbies to make sure there systems are set straight and everything lines up the way it should. And theres absolutely nothing wrong with that. And my advice to any newbie is to follow all the directions given weather that make a difference or not.

Gray

Forgive me, I know that line-level interconnects weren't the thread subject, but it's worth just pointing out why, as Doug said, attenuators such as those from Rothwell are directional.
Their internal resistors are arranged to maintain correct impedance matching between source and destination, the 'in' needing to be high and the 'out' low.
Normally (at destination end of the cable) their (rear) RCA socket is the input.
You can't just turn them round for use at the source end.
The type they sell for the source end has the input on the plug.
That's what makes them directional (genuinely directional as opposed to snake oil directional).

Forgive me, I know that line-level interconnects weren't the thread subject, but it's worth just pointing out why, as Doug said, attenuators such as those from Rothwell are directional.
Their internal resistors are arranged to maintain correct impedance matching between source and destination, the 'in' needing to be high and the 'out' low.
Normally (at destination end of the cable) their (rear) RCA socket is the input.
You can't just turn them round for use at the source end.
The type they sell for the source end has the input on the plug.
That's what makes them directional (genuinely directional as opposed to snake oil directional).
I understand how they operate, I have a pair myself.
The question was about speaker cables and a point was raised about possible attenuation within those cables nothing else.

Jimboo

I’ve just discovered that my speaker cables are ‘directional’ and I had one of them connected the wrong way around. Intrigued, I corrected my mistake and fired up one of my favourite tracks in nervous anticipation :) -I know speaker cables are a contentious subject but I do like to keep an open mind. Anyway I didn’t detect a speck of difference. However, I’m still intrigued with the concept of a directional cable so can anyone explain the theory of operation ?
You say intrigued , by what exactly ? That snake oil exists , everyone can be a sucker sometimes. You learned the golden rule. Adverts are words used to sell the truth and your ears will always tell you the truth.

Reactions: Dom

Gray

So there's your answers Leon
Speaker cables (and others) ARE directional as explained in post #14.
Some manufacturers claim this affects the sound. Nobody here thinks it does.

Jimboo

The Rocket 11 are both directional and left and right handed.
From what hi fi -
They’re also designed so that you can use them in a single-wired or bi-wired configuration if your system demands it, with the option to terminate them in banana plugs or spade connectors in store. Our review sample has banana plugs and comes in a smart white finish, though you can get the Rocket 11 in black too.

AudioQuest has taken a lot of care with the configuration and quality of the conductors used inside the Rocket 11. It uses semi-solid true-concentric conductors and long-grain copper – all to improve performance and reduce any interference that might degrade the sound.
Like , wow. Options to terminate , available in different colours too! Improvement , reduce interference , Yadda Yadda. Just imagine what it could do for your system what with all the science and stuff to back it up?

Reactions: Noddy and Dom

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts