Direct radiating vs. Bipole/Dipole Surround Speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I notice in the reviews that some speaker packages include direct raditaing speakers for surround use and others have a bipole/dipole design. What are the pro's and cons of each design? My amp's manual (Denon AVR-4306) says the amp has A&B surround connectors and you cn set up both a direct radiating set and a bipole/dipole set - then set them for different surround modes. Is it worth having both and why? I'm currently using a pair of bookshelf speakers which came with a Denon mini system from way back which appear to be Mission designed. I'm wondering whether its worth replacing them with the Monitor Audio RSFX to match my RS6's & RSLCR? They're currently on stands to either side of the sofa and they work fine though are at ear height so obviously when you have someone sat next to you you cant hear one or the other - which is why I'm assuming, amongst other reasons, generally surround speakers should be mounted above the listening position.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Bipole/dipole designs give a more diffuse soundfield, and are deisgned to be used on the sidewall, with the user sitting in line with them, allowing them to spread sound forwards and backwards along the wall for a more enveloping effect. Direct radiating speakers might also be used in such a system for use with multichannel music, where a more definite rear effects placement may be desirable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts