Dire Straits - Love over Gold

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
chebby said:
Eeeek!!

(Bad memories of this and ####### Phil Collins' Face Value being the only demo records allowed to be played in Linn dealerships at one time.)

It was a very strange time to be Linn dealer I think. Still, Love Over Gold is a favourite of mine and one I use for system testing..........lord knows how many times I've listened to Telegraph Road :rockout:

I've got the remastered CD but from what Steve has said I think I'll keep a lookout for an early version.

TrevC

One of the finest CD recordings there is. CDs don't need to be loud, you have a volume control that will correct that.

I have the vinyl as well and the quality is also good, except it clicks.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
lindsayt said:
I like their first 3 albums. Very well recorded with a good set of songs. Their 1st album is bass heavy, but still a fine recording. Communique's pretty bass heavy too, but not as much as their 1st album.

I find that the other way around, Communique has more bass than Dire Straits.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
pauln said:
There is little difference between the vinyl and first CD pressing: DR for Telegraph Road of 18 vs 17

(http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?search_artist=&search_album=love+over+gold)

I picked up my copy for about £3 on ebay. The Vertigo blue or red/orange swirl version is the one to look for. Its really not worth paying a small fortune for the SHM-CD version. IMHO.

That's good to know, I see that some sellers are taking the EDIT with the price of the Vertigo Blue :O so I think I'll go for the red :cheers:

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
mitch65 said:
pauln said:
There is little difference between the vinyl and first CD pressing: DR for Telegraph Road of 18 vs 17

(http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?search_artist=&search_album=love+over+gold)

I picked up my copy for about £3 on ebay. The Vertigo blue or red/orange swirl version is the one to look for. Its really not worth paying a small fortune for the SHM-CD version. IMHO.

That's good to know, I see that some sellers are taking the EDIT with the price of the Vertigo Blue :O so I think I'll go for the red :cheers:

That's true, but there are a lot of people who haven't a clue, they just think they have a bunch of old CD's that have little value because they think that the newer digitally remastered versions are better and that's what people want. How many people do you know who have heard of dynamic range and loudness wars?

Have a look at this thread:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/dire-straits-love-over-gold-cd.215675/page-2

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
lindsayt said:
I like their first 3 albums. Very well recorded with a good set of songs. Their 1st album is bass heavy, but still a fine recording. Communique's pretty bass heavy too, but not as much as their 1st album.

My comments were based on the vinyl albums. Do you have them on vinyl or CD or both or some other format?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
lindsayt said:
BigH said:
lindsayt said:

My comments were based on the vinyl albums. Do you have them on vinyl or CD or both or some other format?

Only play them on spotify, don't have any DS on cd or LP.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts