Dire Straits - Love over Gold

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Wikis def of Prog Rock

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_rock

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
andybeau said:
Wikis def of Prog Rock

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_rock

Thanks, I largely agree with that, just a bit confussed by suggestions of Rush and Marillion. I see in there Radiohead are mentioned in the 3rd wave. For me it was King Crimson, ELP, Yes, Pink Floyd and Genesis etc.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
A

Anonymous

BigH said:
stevebrock said:
just done a direct comparison

for the same volume on my Brio

Vinyl 10 o clock

CD 11 o clock

But does that not depend on the cartridge?

Yes but as a rule of thumb it is usually the other way round

T

the record spot

stevebrock said:
are you saying the CD is better than the VINYL Spockfish?

Quite possibly; the original is meant to be excellent. There are several where the CD trounces the vinyl for me. Pretty comfortably at that too.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:
John Duncan said:
Supreme said:
Dire Straights and Yes - 'Owner of a lonely heart' were hot favs for the hi-fi dealers in the 80's from what I can remember.

Both truly bloody awful ;)

Now I'm not having that. IMO (obv) 90125 is the best prog rock album (for some value of 'prog') ever.

Really, would not even get into my top 3 Yes albums, Prog rock was over by about 1978.
Have a listen to Big Elf Cheat the gallows prog rock is still alive and kicking also have a listen to Coheed and Cambra

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I have Private Investigations on 12" single. It's a very good recording with some pleasantly startling dynamics. Sounds better than the vinyl album version.

I like their first 3 albums. Very well recorded with a good set of songs. Their 1st album is bass heavy, but still a fine recording. Communique's pretty bass heavy too, but not as much as their 1st album.

TRENDING THREADS