Dipping a toe into Lake Hi-Fi...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Overdose said:
There are various preamp/DAC combos out there right now, all offering a similar set of features, none however, seem to have a phono stage, so you might need to look for a standalone phono stage as well.

There are many of ways to connect a turntable to a pair of active speakers.

The most obvious option would be to use a monitor controller or preamp/DAC combo that has analogue inputs so that you could connect a standalone phono stage.

Another option would be to use an AV receiver with analogue 'pre-outs' as a monitor controller. Somthing like the Yamaha RX-V667 (around £200 secondhand) has a decent quality phono stage already built in. This method would also have the added bonus of having lots of other functions such as a graphic equalizer, night mode, sound effects and a microphone setup for the rooms acoustics. Another bonus of using an AV receiver as a monitor controller is they have loads of digital and analogue inputs.

dogspangle

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
dogspangle said:
Out of curiosity and in general, how do the active range sound, are the quite analytical?

Just like with passive speakers the sound of active monitors can vary quite a lot so it's worth auditioning a few to see if they suit your tastes. Some of them do sound bright and over-analytical but the majority of them are just very clear and detailed. Studio monitors are designed to be listened to all day long so they tend not to be fatiguing.

Active speakers have the advantage of using amplifiers that are perfectly optimized to match to the speaker that they're driving and there's no distortion causing passive crossover between the amplifier and the driver so the amp is able to control the speaker cone more accurately. Due to these two advantages active speakers are more detailed and have a less boomy sound to the bass.

That's interesting! However, as you mentioned later, I do own an AV amp, and I'm not really thrilled with its stereo characteristics. I was thinking of something more dedicated to 2 channel hifi.

dogspangle

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Overdose said:
dogspangle said:
Furthermore, I don’t want to limit the number of digital sources I could potentially connect up (DAB tuner, streamer, ATV, CD transport, etc), the Rega DAC and MDAC appear to offer these options. However, I do want an overall sound that’s analogue and the warmer side of neutral, though.

...Regarding the sort of sound you are after, that's where auditioning would come in, as what I might consider neutral, woud be bright for you perhaps, or vice versa.

Absolutely, I thought this as soon as I'd uploaded my post.

dogspangle

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Also, thanks Clare & tino, I think I’ll need 3-4 digital inputs and definitely a remote/remotes, otherwise I might have to get off the sofa occasionally. Unfortunately, the Bel Canto C5i is out of my price range really, especially with speakers on top, I think I’d also prefer new kit, too.

So, to summarise the active route?

Digital & analogue sources > phono amp/DAC > monitor controller > active speakers.

Does that sound about right? :?

Thanks very much.

Regards

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
dogspangle said:
That's interesting! However, as you mentioned later, I do own an AV amp, and I'm not really thrilled with its stereo characteristics. I was thinking of something more dedicated to 2 channel hifi.

The stereo sound quality of an AV receiver wouldn't be an issue because you'd be bypassing it's low quality power amplifiers by using the unamplified analogue 'pre-out' sockets. You would essensially just be using it a DAC and pre-amplifier then sending the unamplified signal to the active monitors where it would be amplified by their very high quality built in amplifiers.

Unfortunately your Denon AVR1910 recceiver doesn't have any 'pre-outs' so you couldn't use it anyway.

The simplest solution would be to just use a dedicated monitor controller. Any shop that sells active speakers will have a selection of them available.

dogspangle

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
...You would essensially just be using it a DAC and pre-amplifier then sending the unamplified signal to the active monitors where it would be amplified by their very high quality built in amplifiers.

...The simplest solution would be to just use a dedicated monitor controller. Any shop that sells active speakers will have a selection of them available.

Ahhh, I see! :doh:

Thanks.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
dogspangle said:
So, to summarise the active route?

Digital & analogue sources > phono amp/DAC > monitor controller > active speakers.

TT > Phono stage > Preamp/DAC > Active speakers

All other sources > Preamp/DAC > Active speakers

The monitor controller is simply a preamp, but some actives also have inbuilt preamps and DACs. The Matrix Quattro DAC seems to offer everything you might need, as an example, but you would not be able to demo one.This is one of the few options for remote controlled preamp/DAC at this price. The Emotiva XDA-1 is another and the Audiolab 8200DQ is a fair bit pricier.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
dogspangle said:
I was thinking of something more dedicated to 2 channel hifi.

Have you considered the AVI ADM9T speakers or are they too big for you?

These would be the perfect solution as they already have everything that you need already built into the speakers - a DAC for the digital inputs, an analogue input, amplifiers and a remote control.

atticus

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Dogspangle, I've done pretty much what you have with my CD collection. I am getting a pair of ADM40's and will stream the music thru my broadband, from an iPad and via an Apple TV. The iPad with its visual nature and presentation of album covers as photos will make it easy for Her Indoors to use and the space freed up in selling my passive system and having the amps in the speakers is gaining me Brownie Points too.

dogspangle

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks atticus, I think the apple environment is a great way to enjoy music, and I'm all for the Brownie points, too!

Will demo the Rega kit in a week or two, followed by a couple of other systems, and then I'll try and get to hear an active setup.

Regards

dogspangle

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Just a quick update on my purchases...

Finally purchased a Rega Brio R, a pair of Rega RS1s and a Squeezebox Touch. I found that I could listen to the Rega kit for longer periods, fluid, musical and dynamic, but not overly detailed - IMHO - I love it!!!

My Planar 3 sounds amazing (not played it for years), even the CA 650BD, as a CD spinner sounds good - SACD sounds great. But the real shock was the SBT, what an amazing piece of kit. Re-ripped all my CDs as flacs using EAC http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/, fantastic sound quality for the price, although music currently stored on wireless PC until I can set up a hard-wired NAS.

Possibly a DAC next to improve CA 650 BD, not too sure if it will improve SBT after reading various posts.

Anyway, thanks for the advice guys.

Regards

dogspangle

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
bluebrazil said:
your next step should deffo be a good nas drive, then look into the possibility of controlling it all via an ipad. then your rocking :)

Yes, I think I'll do that - get the SBT set up properly before I consider a DAC.
smiley-smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts