Digital Sound from new iMac

jonathanbruce@me

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Hello there everyone.

I have recently changed my iMac to the new iMac 5k 2017 version. However I have noticed that Apple have taken away the digital signal from the headphone socket that I used to use to get sound into my Marantz PM6006 s/pdif IN at the back. I tried using normal headphone to RCA but the sound was bloody awful... then I saw OWC Thunderbolt 3 Hub but that is too expensive and am considering other options.. Maybe a network player with Airplay that has s/pdif ? I've had a look at the Denon DNP730 and the Pioneer N-P01 and I am sure they are others.. Internet Radio would be a useful feature I would use since I have it on my Marantz M-CR611 Mini Hifi

Would love to know all your ideas on how to get around the problem caused by Apple ditching digitial out on the headphone jack. The Thunderbolt 3 Hub I mentioned is approx £320 and not worth it just for that one feature.

Always grateful of advice given to me..

regards

Jonathan

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Four USB 3.0 sockets and ethernet and AirPlay give lots of options, the main one being a USB DAC. They come in all sizes from ... "where is it?" to ... "will the floor take the weight?" and at all prices from 20 something quid to £1000s.

AudioQuest Dragonfly models tend to get recommended a lot. (Stick it in a USB socket and connect a 3.5mm jack to 2 x RCA phono in an aux input on your amp.

Connect your iMac to your router with Ethernet cable for the most 'stable' performance. (As in not dependent on wireless.)

TRENDING THREADS