Digital Media seperates

adclem

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi all

I'm sure most would agree that iPods are very convenient but sound rubbish even with the best doc. With this in mind it seems like an obvious idea for someone to make an HDD media separate with an onboard DAC. Basically somewhere to store large amounts of uncompressed music files either direct from CD or FLAC lossless files. A piece of equipment that can be wired directly to a preamp or an integrated amp.

So far I have found the Chord Media Engine but at £17,000 this is ridiculously unobtainable for most people.

This is such an obvious idea; it isn’t something that should be expensive or hard to come by in this day and age.... Should it? But I can’t find one! Am I just not looking properly?

Any ideas?

harveymt

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
Surely this can be achieved with a NAS drive, airport express and a DAC e.g. DacMagic? The NAS can be attached to your router out of the way and the DAC beside your amp.

The three could be incorporated into one box.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
There's quite a few out there, WHF have reviewed most of them and they're all listed in the review section on this site, so yes, you're not looking particularly closely! Look under the Media Servers/Clients section of Home Digital Media (something like that) in the Reviews section.

adclem

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
the_lhc:There's quite a few out there, WHF have reviewed most of them and they're all listed in the review section on this site, so yes, you're not looking particularly closely! Look under the Media Servers/Clients section of Home Digital Media (something like that) in the Reviews section.

Ah, so I see! I'm obviously not up to date with my lingo as media servers had me invisioning wireless set ups whch I want to avoid. Thank you.

If I had lots of money the Naim one looks quite exciting.... But I dont so quite frankly and it would be wasted with my amp so it's good to see a couple of cheap options too..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts