Different variant of XT32???

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I am just wondering if there are any variants of the popular xt32? By this I meant it features in the higher end of receivers but now also in the lower priced ones such as the onkyo 818. I am trying to determine if the xt32 found in both the high end and lower end receivers are the same or not, is it a "watered down version" given the price difference.
The best example I can think of is like anthem room correction(ARC). it s found in both the Mrx rNge and the statement processor, but even though it s still called ARC they are vastly different. Does the same apply to xt32. I was going to buy a onkyo 5009 or 3009 receiver and add an external power amp for front durties but if the 818 has the same xt32 as the one in the 3009/5009 then I will save my money and get the 818.
Sincerely yours.
John

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I believe that although the Onkyo 818 has two subwoofer outputs, it doesn't have SubEQ HT, which allows the independent EQ'ing of two subs, which the 1009 upwards have. Other than that, as far as I kow, they're the same.

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi mate,
Thanks for the info and advice. I also got an email from audyssey stating that if it s xt32 then it s xt 32.
So in your opinion, will the 818 be as efficient as room correction as the 3009 considering I will not use 2 subs?
I currently have a anthem Mrx 500 and man does that ARC MAKE a difference. Never really thought it be a night and day but it was it was. I used the amp with arc for 3 weeks just to get use tout, then did it and yes it does make a massive difference.
I have yet to try xt32 but dying to do so and some say it s better than ARC even though I will not be using two subs. The reason I want another receiver is that I don t believe that the video processing found in the anthem is as good as the one in the onkyo. I guess I ll only know when I get one and do side by side. I want something to really clean up digital tv broadcast and upscale it to a fairly good level as when I use the projector I get a bit disappointed with picture quality. Hopefully the onkyo will tidy it Up A little.
Regards
John

A

Anonymous

Hey I have the 818, and love it.

The XT32 does the same job of room correction as any other XT32 but as dave said, it only does not have the 2 sub cals, which for me was not a deal breaker as my neighbors complain about 1 svs ultra. :O

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi Canada,
Thanks for your input. M glad you enjoy your 818. Here in Australia it s still a few months before it comes out :cry:
The 3009 is available right now but like I said previously I will be adding a power amp for front duties nor will I be using 2 subs so I will wait to get it.
What did you have before you got the 818? Ever considered an anthem receiver and try out arc.
Do you know what the main advantage of xt2 over ARCWOULD BE if not using 2 subs?
By the way, how is the tv broadcast back home for you( gosh you got me confused now, are you in Canada or uk?). Is it fairly average or quite the opposite.here in australia it s pretty poor to be honest.supposed to be hd but not too good hence me wanting a receiver with good video processing and great room acoustics software..
Kind regards

A

Anonymous

Hey, I was raised in canada but living in the UK.

We have about 30-40 HD channels on sky or virgin and a bit more if you pay for the movie services.

I did have a pioneer SC-LX72, not sure the model number in Aus.

I have not tried ARC but from what people have said about XT32 and ARC, is that they are pretty much on par, but you will always have a ARC owner who says its better and vise versa.

If you can get the 3009 for a good price go for that, but at £1000.00 or even £900.00 shopping around you cant beat the 818.

I would have thought you would have the 818 before anyone as they are made in china or around that area, so you would be the first stop I would have thought. few months is quite far behind.

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I used to have Audessey MultEQ (though not the XT32 version ofcourse) on my Onkyo 905, I also had a Pioneer LX85 with its MACC system, and now have the Anthem with its ARC.

Whilst its difficult to make direct comparisons on EQ alone as they are all clearly different machines, I personally felt the EQ has taken a step up each time, with ARC being considerably better than the others.

Sonic character of the different machines aside, I think you may see little benefit, if any, moving from your MRX receiver just to get XT32.

A much better bet would be to get hold of an Antimode 8033, this in my experience produces much better control of the subwoofer frequency response (which is arguably the most important to EQ) than any of the other systems, and can really make a noticeable difference in a HC setup.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Comparing ARC to XT32 is going to be very difficult as there is more to the overall sound than the room eq. Even if the two systems were identical the presentation of the two amps if very different.

I wouldn't advise changing from the MRX500 to the 818 just for the video - if you need to improve that side of things start at the source and then work up to a video scaler. A Lumagen will overhaul your video output and will be a worthwhile addition to your system today and with any changes you make in the future.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts