Difference between tannoy dc4t revolution and signature

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I'm looking to invest in new front speakers(left,right and centre) and am very interested in tannoys dc4t/dc4tlcr. However there is a big difference in price(£600 for the standard versions compared to £1000 for the signatures) . I know the signatures have much better bass but as i have a SVS pc12+ subwoofer i'm never short in the bass department so i feel this isn't a major issue for me. They are also different in shape, does this have big effect on the sound of the speakers? In peoples opinions/experience do the signatures warrant the extra cash?

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
well dont expect great bass from the signatures either...with a sub the revolution would be ok.but you have to be sure you like their tonality.I didn t like much the tonality of the signatures

Sc00bied00

Sep 3, 2007
Visit site
I had a demo of the dc6t, was good, felt a very forward presentation, slightly lean, dynamics were good too, Justify.... would certainly advise listening to before any comittment, I definately think they need to be gotten use to. As I use small speakers, I found their bass extension was ok for their size. I liked the small footprint and easy positioning.

A

Anonymous

I thought I had great bass from my Rev Signature DC4Ts....and then I got a subwooofer and it really does make a difference for movies in particular. That said, I don't think there are many floorstanders which would negate the need for a decent sub in a 5.1 set up.

Small footprint was useful for me, and I think they bring out oodles of detail in their sound. And they look really nice. Add to that the great build quality (the DC4LCR really surprised me with how heavy it was, seems to be built from a railway sleeper!) and you really can't go wrong.

As for the non-Signature versions, I know they have a slightly different shape, but other than that I can't offer much advice.

If you are going to spend that amount of money on them, you should give them and others a listen.

A

Anonymous

ooh, ooh, sir, I know this one!

I went through this earlier. I sashayed into my local Tannoy dealer clutching WHF and asked for a set of 5 star Rev Sigs. We had a discussion because they didn't have any stock, but did have the regular revolutions which were, as you say, a lot cheaper.

So I retired to consider the options.

And then an email from my man at the shop:

"We had one of the sales managers from Tannoy UK in store this week and we discussed the revolution speakers, basically the only difference between the revolution and revolution signature series is that the signatures have an earthing post, different cabinet shape and they are an English vs Chinese build. However he also said that in A/B comparisons they sound very similar and you would be better off with the straight revolutions. The only situation where the earthing post on the signatures is useful is when you get a lot of static noise at low volumes."

Which I was a bit sceptical about because the differences seemed quite significant to me, and I also remembered that when WHF tested a regular rev it only got about 3 stars (can't remember which actual model - maybe a dc4).

So then the shop actually got a rev sig and the next email:

"Upon hearing the Tannoy Signature Revolution DC-6T's vs the Revolution models it became very obvious that the Sig Rev's are a far superior speaker, so I'm not sure what the UK sales manager was talking about. We don't have them in stock currently but I can order a pair down from Auckland and have them here and run in by Friday for a demo if you are interested."

So I bought the full Revolution Signature DC4 fronts, centre and DC4T surround. I already had a good Velo sub waiting in the wings.

After some initial uncertainty, I am now very happy with the sound which still seems to be improving each time I listen.

A

Anonymous

johna11:
So I bought the full Revolution Signature DC4 fronts, centre and DC4T surround. I already had a good Velo sub waiting in the wings.

After some initial uncertainty, I am now very happy with the sound which still seems to be improving each time I listen.

Your setup sounds just like mine! I use the same Tannoys and a Velodyne MicroVee sub. And mighty chuffed I am with them too.

A

Anonymous

Cheers for the info johna11.
Anyone else had an opportunity to sample both sets of these speakers?

A

Anonymous

johna11:

they are an English vs Chinese build.

I knew there was something bothering me about your post...they're built in Scotland. Coatbridge to be precise. I've been fortunate enough to have a tour round the factory twice over the space of 5-6 years. And yes, the lower end models are assembled in China. If any of you know the town of Coatbridge, you may now be thinking the Chinese manufactured ones will be of a higher quality, but clearly not!!

A

Anonymous

I have been reading this thread with interest...however, in 2012 I absolutely cannot find a "signature" for sale in Germany. I was seriously considering the DC4 or the DC4T revolutions, but I have to get them mail-order and return them if I don't like them. I am in a big city (Frankfurt) but nary a dealer in the area has this set up to listen to.

BTW, I think someone above said the Signatures are "English" build...not wanting to ruffle anyone's feathers but aren't they made in Scotland?

Thanks!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
fluglotse1 said:
BTW, I think someone above said the Signatures are "English" build...not wanting to ruffle anyone's feathers but aren't they made in Scotland?

Originally English, now headquartered in Scotland, owned by Danes and (most output) made in China.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Acciesboy said:
If any of you know the town of Coatbridge, you may now be thinking the Chinese manufactured ones will be of a higher quality, but clearly not!!

:grin:

Know it well, I used to live 15 mins away and I played 5-a-sides at the pitch next door to the Tannoy factory.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts