Difference between BD35 and BD55 Blu-ray players?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've noticed the BD35 doesn't have multichannel output but the BD55 does. Is this only a problem if you're trying to connect it to an older AV receiver - in other words the BD35 will do 5.1 surround sound if connected up through a modern AV receiver?

A

Anonymous

The BD55 is identical to the BD35 in almost all respects, including using the same high quality picture pricessor, Panasonic's PHL Reference Chrome Processor Plus and the ability to bitsream and decode all the high definition audio formats, including DTS-HD Master Audio. It is also Blu-Ray Profile 2.0, DivX and X.V. Colour compatible.

The BD55 costs more due to the following - New capacitors, a new 192kHz/24Bit DAC, tweaks to the HDMI output to help reduce jitter, and better insulation to keep vibrations to a minimum.

And yes, the BD55 also has a set of eight-channel analogue outputs, for owners of older amps.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
They can both output in 7.1
emotion-1.gif

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
True Blue:They can both output in 7.1
emotion-1.gif

If by that you mean the 35 has outputs for 7.1, im pretty sure it doesnt as per the specs here, and ive recently bought one.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
al7478:
emotion-1.gif

If by that you mean the 35 has outputs for 7.1, im pretty sure it doesnt as per the specs here, and ive recently bought one.

NO! the BD35 outputs 7.1 via HDMI.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I think you may have difficulty finding a BD55. Stocks were running low when I bought my pioneer BDP-51 which is incidentally a great player and available for as little as £300. No BD live support or DTS-HD MA yet but the latter may be soon available as firmware update. The new panasonics (and pioneers) should be available soon but I would'nt expect any discounts for a while. On other forums opinions are divided on pq of the BD55 compared to something like the pioneer but on the whole and from what I can gather people like them and picture/audio quality should be slightly better than the smaller model due to some tweaks on the HDMI outputs. Looks cheap though that just my personal opinion and has little to do with how the thing performs.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
slewis:al7478:

emotion-1.gif

NO! the BD35 outputs 7.1 via HDMI.

Well are'nt you excited lol.

OK i see what you mean, but with the flow of the converwsation in mind i thought True Blue was talking about actual multi channel out puts.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
drummerman:I think you may have difficulty finding a BD55. Stocks were running low when I bought my pioneer BDP-51 ... the new panasonics (and pioneers) should be available soon but I would'nt expect any discounts for a while. On other forums opinions are divided on pq of the BD55 compared to something like the pioneer but on the whole and from what I can gather people like them and picture/audio quality should be slightly better than the smaller model due to some tweaks on the HDMI outputs. Looks cheap though that just my personal opinion and has little to do with how the thing performs.

FYI, we have a First Test of the new Panasonic DMP-BD60 lined up for the May issue of the magazine, on sale next month.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies and yes BD55 is hard to come by! Decision behind this post though is whether to just go for the BD35 now at under £200 - or wait for the BD60. IF the BD35 can do surround sound - albeit via a modern AV receiver - and it's good enough for my needs, then I may as well just get it rather than paying the premium on the new BD60.

So, 1.) can the BD35 handle HD surround sound for when I buy an AV receiver? and 2.) is the Blu-ray and upscaled DVD picture reasonably good? (I think the answer to the second question is a yes, but not sure of the first one)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts