Did something stupid - any ideas on shorting?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I may have done something stupid - I was unhooking all the cables from my speakers (bi-wired - so 4 wires on each end) and forgot that I had the amp still on. I had unscrewed the plugs and taken the wires out and had let them fall on the floor where (+) and (-) touched for good few minutes on some of the cables. I only then realized I still had the amp on and turned it off.

Now there was no music being played. Is there a possibility something shorted in the amp? I've packed up the speakers as they are going on a trip of their own so can't test (its late at night, too) and I won't get replacement speakers for a week or so. I am now turning paranoid that I may have fried a component or two (no funny smells detected though).

Any ideas?

EDIT: I have hooked up tiny (5Watt?) speakers and there seems to be some sound - quality obviously of 5W speaker. Am I ok?

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
by rights as soon as they touched the amp should have shorted out, its happened to me twice on my cyrus. my old speaker cable had a short in it so the wires were touching and of course I was blamed but we did a load test and found out it was the wires but nothing major on the amp just a fuse but thats cyrus stuff. I wouldnt worry to much thats why they have fuses....

matthewpiano

The amp's protection system should have kicked in. As long as its powering up and settling on the green power light I don't think you'll have any problems. Thats what modern circuit protection is for. Otherwise, as Mike says, the worst case scenario is probably a fuse, but given that your amp is powering up OK I think you're fine.

A

Anonymous

chainrock:
I may have done something stupid - I was unhooking all the cables from my speakers (bi-wired - so 4 wires on each end) and forgot that I had the amp still on. I had unscrewed the plugs and taken the wires out and had let them fall on the floor where (+) and (-) touched for good few minutes on some of the cables. I only then realized I still had the amp on and turned it off.

Now there was no music being played. Is there a possibility something shorted in the amp? I've packed up the speakers as they are going on a trip of their own so can't test (its late at night, too) and I won't get replacement speakers for a week or so. I am now turning paranoid that I may have fried a component or two (no funny smells detected though).

Any ideas?

EDIT: I have hooked up tiny (5Watt?) speakers and there seems to be some sound - quality obviously of 5W speaker. Am I ok?

As no music was playing no damage will have been done.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Cyril Mason:chainrock:

Any ideas?

As no music was playing no damage will have been done.

Exactly. There was no signal/voltage being passed down the cable, so you'll be fine.

A

Anonymous

Oh good! Thanks!!!

I was hoping as there was no current there would have been no short circuit but wasn't sure...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts