Diasappointed with Naim Supernait and Spendor A5 combination

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

For about a year ago i've bougth a Naim Supernait amp to combine with Spendor A5 speakers instead of a Arcam A85. As player I use the Arcam dV88 wich is connected to the Dac of the SN. Love the prat and control of the SN. On the other hand i don't like the harsness in the mid-high and high. My room is L-shaped (living room and kitchen) with a total lenght of 8,5 meters. The living room itself is 5 x 5 meters. The speakers are placed at/near the longest wall. Reggae is the music I play for about 90% of the time. Is it the amp to blame? Or ar there any other suggestions?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry you are not getting pleasure from your not insubstantial system.

A couple of questions:

- Did you hear the Naim and Spendor together before you bought them, if so, what has changed?.....and if you didn't, what did you hear them with?

- Could your room acoustics be contributing to the problem......ie. is it sparsely furnished, with a laminate floor and areas of tiles/glass?

- Are you using silver coated cables? - again, can add to the problem

Looking at your system, neither the Arcam or Spendors could really be described as harsh, which leaves the amp or the room acoustics.

One thing you could try, would be to borrow a different amp (like Sugden or Arcam) from your dealer, and see how that sounds.......and any "softening" of your room with rugs etc (if this is the problem) is worth a go.

A

Anonymous

Hi CnoEvil,

No, I've heared the Spendors with Cambridge Audio 840 in a totally different room. And offcourse with my old Arcam A85 in my own living room.

It's not sparsely furnished but, yes, laminate floor ande tiles/glass. I have a carpet on the floor tough.

No, copper cables. I've also tried the Naca5 cable. No difference whats so ever.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I've not heard the SuperNait, but I'm pretty sure the speakers are not the culprit. Those Spendors don't sound harsh ever IMO. They are very clean natural sounding speakers, although I'm surprised you are happy with the bass for Reggae music (maybe you have a sub?).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
LionofJudah said:
Hi CnoEvil,

No, I've heared the Spendors with Cambridge Audio 840 in a totally different room. And offcourse with my old Arcam A85 in my own living room.

It's not sparsely furnished but, yes, laminate floor ande tiles/glass. I have a carpet on the floor tough.

No, copper cables. I've also tried the Naca5 cable. No difference whats so ever.

Did you hear the Naim sounding well with different speakers, or did you buy it on "reputation"?

It looks to me that there is probably not enough you can do with the room, so I'm afraid, that leaves the amp.....my choice would be a Sugden A21 SE, Electrocompaniet ECI-5 Mk11 / ECI-3 or Arcam A39 (if it is on the cards for release).

A

Anonymous

jaxwired said:
although I'm surprised you are happy with the bass for Reggae music (maybe you have a sub?).

No sub. Had one, a Rel Q150. Didn't hear much difference.

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
Did you hear the Naim sounding well with different speakers, or did you buy it on "reputation"?

It looks to me that there is probably not enough you can do with the room, so I'm afraid, that leaves the amp.....my choice would be a Sugden A21 SE, Electrocompaniet ECI-5 Mk11 / ECI-3 or Arcam A39 (if it is on the cards for release).

Heard it with Harbeth SHL 5 and 30.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
LionofJudah said:
Heard it with Harbeth SHL 5 and 30.

Nice!

Well, that's your other option, unless the room's acoustics would tip that into harshness as well.......not easy, and only trial and error will come up with a solution that is tailored to the room, and your taste!

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I had this problem you having for years untill I invested in a proper mains conditioner!. Every time went to the shop listen to a system. Got home, sounded really horrible. Thin, bright & lacking body. Got a mains conditioner now my system sounds like I heard it in the shop.

Piont to note: But mains conditioners are a matter of try & see. In some cases makes some systems sound even worse. So its still a matter of trial & error. If u can get retailer to loan you one.

Also what hifi stand do you use?... If u using glass & steel Hifi rack this can make your system sound bright as well.

All the best.

A

Anonymous

Native_bon said:
I had this problem you having for years untill I invested in a proper mains conditioner!. Every time went to the shop listen to a system. Got home, sounded really horrible. Thin, bright & lacking body. Got a mains conditioner now my system sounds like I heard it in the shop.

Piont to note: But mains conditioners are a matter of try & see. In some cases makes some systems sound even worse. So its still a matter of trial & error. If u can get retailer to loan you one.

Also what hifi stand do you use?... If u using glass & steel Hifi rack this can make your system sound bright as well.

All the best.

Main conditioners combined with Naim? That's a no-go. Had one and took it of. Sounded much better. I'm using a wooden frame. I think i'm going to try some other amps. And maybe another source.Trial and error.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
LionofJudah said:
And maybe another source.Trial and error.

I have the DV79, which is probably very similar to the DV88 for CD replay. It does a great job for a DVD player, but my Linn Majik DS makes it sound broken.

The reason I didn't mention it at this stage, is that the one thing it doesn't sound, is harsh......in fact quite the opposide.....a little on the dull and smooth side (compared to the Linn).

So what I'm saying is, yes get a good source, but look elsewhere for the harshness problem.

Cno

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
The reason I didn't mention it at this stage, is that the one thing it doesn't sound, is harsh......in fact quite the opposide.....a little on the dull and smooth side (compared to the Linn).

So what I'm saying is, yes get a good source, but look elsewhere for the harshness problem.

Cno

I agree, had a Arcam CD192 before one of the dacs broke down and i loved it. If it had not i would be still playing with the Arcam combo. Thanks for your advice, all of you. Keep you informed.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Please! The Supernait is one of the best amps out there, irrespective of price. The DAC isn't, and that's the prob. Chuck using the SN DAC, gets yourself the new revised Nait CD5i, and she'll be apples!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Please! The Supernait is one of the best amps out there, irrespective of price. The DAC isn't, and that's the prob. Chuck using the SN DAC, gets yourself the new revised Nait CD5i, and she'll be apples!

Good call, I didn't pick up that the DV88 was only being used as a transport.....

@LionofJudah

Maybe to start with, try using the Dac in the Arcam.

woodster

Jun 24, 2007
Visit site
I heard this very combo and hated it, the speakers with other amps faired much better, I have to say I really am not keen on Naim kit, never heard a piece I liked.

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:

I've tried that but in my ears there is nearly a difference. Maybe a little bit more detail with the SN Dac but the brightness is the same. I know somebody in my neightbourhood who ownes a Cd5XS. I'll ask him if i can use his piece of kit for a couple of hours.

A

Anonymous

woodster said:
I heard this very combo and hated it, the speakers with other amps faired much better, I have to say I really am not keen on Naim kit, never heard a piece I liked.

At what was it you hated about it?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
LionofJudah said:
CnoEvil said:

I've tried that but in my ears there is nearly a difference. Maybe a little bit more detail with the SN Dac but the brightness is the same. I know somebody in my neightbourhood who ownes a Cd5XS. I'll ask him if i can use his piece of kit for a couple of hours.

If you don't like the Naim sound (it does split opinion), it may make things worse.....but worth a try.

When I tested Naim XS with Spendors it was a case of it sounding okay, but something wasn't quite right - something was missing. The combo didn't have the cohesion needed, and indeed, when I rigged the Leema with the same speakers it sounded 'right'. TBF, I couldn't put my finger on why, except, perhaps, the synergy wasn't right between Naim and Spendor.

Worthwhile just trying some PMC GB1is, similar price bracket, and see if that makes a difference.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
LionofJudah said:
Hi,

For about a year ago i've bougth a Naim Supernait amp to combine with Spendor A5 speakers instead of a Arcam A85. As player I use the Arcam dV88 wich is connected to the Dac of the SN. Love the prat and control of the SN. On the other hand i don't like the harsness in the mid-high and high. My room is L-shaped (living room and kitchen) with a total lenght of 8,5 meters. The living room itself is 5 x 5 meters. The speakers are placed at/near the longest wall. Reggae is the music I play for about 90% of the time. Is it the amp to blame? Or ar there any other suggestions?

Some acoustic panels to damp the room a bit? Do a bit of reading on the subject of room acoustics to get some ideas.

If a system that costs several thousand pounds sounds off, something must be very wrong indeed and one would like to think it isn't the equipment.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Overdose said:
If a system that costs several thousand pounds sounds off, something must be very wrong indeed and one would like to think it isn't the equipment.

IMO. Price is no guarantee of suitability...I've heard very expensive systems that I could barely sit in the room with.....so it's very personal.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Overdose said:

IMO. Price is no guarantee of suitability...I've heard very expensive systems that I could barely sit in the room with.....so it's very personal.

I could accept a differing in opinion regarding presentation, but the word 'harsh' to me implies some sort of deficiency or defect. This is not a mini system costing less than a few hundred pounds, for which there might be many shortcomings, but something rather more expensive and presumably 'better'.

Assuming the system is at fault, if the speakers are not to blame and reading various reviews would suggest that they are not, then it must be the amp. If the amp is the problem, then there is something wrong with it or its design to create a harshness in the presentation. Amps really shouldn't have that much effect on sound presentation, they should merely amplify a signal and not distort or colour it.

My guess is the acoustics of the room playing up. Get this right and even the relatively cheap mini system would sound fine. ;)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Overdose said:
I could accept a differing in opinion regarding presentation, but the word 'harsh' to me implies some sort of deficiency or defect. This is not a mini system costing less than a few hundred pounds, for which there might be many shortcomings, but something rather more expensive and presumably 'better'.

Assuming the system is at fault, if the speakers are not to blame and reading various reviews would suggest that they are not, then it must be the amp. If the amp is the problem, then there is something wrong with it or its design to create a harshness in the presentation. Amps really shouldn't have that much effect on sound presentation, they should merely amplify a signal and not distort or colour it.

My guess is the acoustics of the room playing up. Get this right and even the relatively cheap mini system would sound fine. ;)

Harsh is subjective, what harsh means to people is subjective and even describing sound is problematical and tainted with personal bias....to some it can mean bright, or to others it can mean forward or even neutral and analytical.

My guess is the mixture of the amp/speakers/room is not to the OPs taste. The problem is, it's not always easy to acoustically treat a room if it's rented, or a family area.....so the kit often has to be tailored to fit the situation and not the other way round.

TRENDING THREADS