Desktop monitors challenge

SteveR750

I'd like to add some mini desktop speakers to my office setup, I'm thinking of adding some active monitors and using the RCA out from my JDS Element 2, so shortlisted yamaha HS5 and the KRK Rokits. The problem is space, they will need to go pretty much up against arear wall.
I could use a couple of Sonos Play5s but then I lose the flexibility of using my PC as a source.
Any other suggestions?

doifeellucky

I’ve previously (now in the kitchen) used a pair of Audio Pro Addon C10’s (turned on their side on 32” stands to get them more at ear height) wirelessly (not Bluetooth) and via the RCA of my Zen DAC V2. I’m now instead using a Sabaj A10a integrated amp into some Dali Zensor 3 speakers. USB into the Zen, RCA into the A10a. I’m sure the speakers are not intended for near field use but they’re fine for my needs when I’m working. Both the C10’s and my current setup are far superior to a set of computer speakers. I also use Grado 325x from the Zen DAC. I had the C10’s right up against the wall and just turned the bass down a bit in the app.

abacus

There is a boatload to choose from, pop into a pro music store and try a few out within your price range to see which suits, also isolation stands go a long way to getting a clean bass.

Bill

Tinman1952

There is a boatload to choose from, pop into a pro music store and try a few out within your price range to see which suits, also isolation stands go a long way to getting a clean bass.

Bill
Agreed. I tried a pair of JBL LSR 305 speakers two years ago... just out of curiosity. Very affordable and surprisingly good 'living room' listening and not just near-field. I've always fancied the Dynaudio LYD range too but cannot really justify the expense at present... Maybe next year. 🙂

SteveR750

I bought some KRK Rokit 5 G4 in the end, sat on the angled foam bases. I eliminated the Yamahas due to rear firing port, so no good right up against a wall. I have limited space, so very little freedom in placement.
Have to say they are much better than I expected for £250, though my room acoustics are dire, which is a challenge.

Bsmooth

Dec 27, 2021
Visit site
You'll probably laugh, but the Klipsch 2.1 promedia speakers are great for the price and include a sub as well.
There built to last too. Had mine for over 8 years now.
They are no klipsch Forte's which I have heard and was pretty impressed by, but they do manage that Klipsch sound, in a very compact design.
Another option is Audioengine 5+ powered speakers, which I also have and like very much. Its one amazing speaker(well two actually). Listened to them for 2 hours when I first got them, they were that good.
Hope you find what your looking for.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts