Denon UDR-F07 cassette deck

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
The output of my cassette deck to the LH speaker has 'blown'.
My local Hifi repairer tells me that he doesn't have a Denon service manual for this unit and I must pay £21 for him to obtain one!!.
The unit doesn't warrant spending much money on it but it seems too nice just to throw away, so: -

Is there a source of free downloads of service manuals?
and/or
since a friend says this should be a cheap and easy fix- could I do it myself?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Buy a nice working one from ebay (with some brand new cassettes too.)

(I know it is not the exact same Denon model but I am sure it will match.)

If the repairer wants £21 before he even opens it up than I can only imagine what the repair will cost (even if it is minor).

There are some excellent cassette decks from all brands for less than a repair will cost you.

A

Anonymous

Thanks but I'm archiving my tapes onto my PC so this technology, so far as I'm concerned, has only a little more time left in my home- hence my reluctance to spend out

A

Anonymous

Well, I'm still hanging in there- I've found a source of a cheap service manual £10 ish, if I need it and also a chap who knows a little about these things who has partially dismantled the unit. He tells me there has clearly been some physical damage to the PCB some time before I got the unit and it needs a new PCB.

Denons tell me that Charles Hyde & Sons supply spare parts for their machines but that supplier tells me they have nothing in their stocks to help. Looks like this is the final attempt therefore to source a PCB from elsewhere- any ideas please?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Only other alternative is to wait for one to appear on eBay, maybe with another fault, and then try to make one good one from a few bad ones.

A new PCB is going to be at least £25 (plus shipping) due to the components on it, and a replacement deck will therefore cost less.

I honestly feel that it would probably be sensible to wave farewell to the Denon at this point and find another cheap one locally that you could pick up.

Something like an Aiwa ADF450 or a Sony deck in excellent nick shouldn't set you back more than £15-20 or so, and you could then sell it on for a similar amount.

A

Anonymous

Yes, I think you are spot-on, I'm just being bloody-minded I guess about throwing away a good looking unit with little wrong with it, albeit a comparatively expensive repair for my needs.

I could even persevere with my Tape2PC archiving machine but it's such a lump to look at - it's OK on my computer desk but I wouldn't want it in the living room.

Also, as you've seen above I don't foresee much use for a tape deck once the archiving has been completed (just chucked out 25+ tapes yesterday, having copied them to PC- similar number to go) so it's arguable whether I really need a deck at all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts