Question Denon Stereo Amp PMA Series

nn_in

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Any info folks who own PMA 1600 NE can share . What speakers you have paired and your guidance which ICs and spkrs cables work best in your opinion with would be valuable.

Any info folks who own PMA 1600 NE can share . What speakers you have paired and your guidance which ICs and spkrs cables work best in your opinion with would be valuable.
I think you'll find they have selected speakers based on their own ears and for their own listening rooms rather than to pair with the 1600.
Perhaps more information regarding your room set-up might be useful here. What speakers do you use at the moment and do you find them lacking in some way?
Interconnects and speaker cables is a whole new issue that have been debated on here many times in the past. You're likely to gain little by asking about these as they are very much personal choice items.

Last edited:

nn_in

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
I think you'll find they have selected speakers based on their own ears and for their own listening rooms rather than to pair with the 1600.
Perhaps more information regarding your room set-up might be useful here. What speakers do you use at the moment and do you find them lacking in some way?
Interconnects and speaker cables is a whole new issue that have been debated on here many times in the past. You're likely to gain little by asking about these as they are very much personal choice items.
15ft x 11ft and 11ft ht. Bedroom. PMA600NE-DNDP800NE-Wharfedale 11.2.
Moving up to 1600 NE for better soundstage and more detailed sound at low volume listening.
Plan to move to B&W or Wharfedale Evo at a later date. Also using Ophidian Minimos which to my guesstimate would benefit with 1600 NE upgrade.
At this time other brands of amps not considered .

15ft x 11ft and 11ft ht. Bedroom. PMA600NE-DNDP800NE-Wharfedale 11.2.
Moving up to 1600 NE for better soundstage and more detailed sound at low volume listening.
Plan to move to B&W or Wharfedale Evo at a later date. Also using Ophidian Minimos which to my guesstimate would benefit with 1600 NE upgrade.
At this time other brands of amps not considered .
Interesting, how do you find those Minimos?
The room is a tad smaller than where my hifi has to live at the moment but not by a huge amount.
You might benefit from some compact floorstanders of a more expensive nature in my humble opinion.
Save your money on expensive interconnects and speaker cables and use funds only where they are going to make a discernable difference is my motto.
Source and speakers are where the money goes.
A £1200 amp driving £250 speakers is where you don't want to be....
If your preference is standmounts might I suggest the Arcaydis EB2S

nn_in

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Interesting, how do you find those Minimos?
The room is a tad smaller than where my hifi has to live at the moment but not by a huge amount.
You might benefit from some compact floorstanders of a more expensive nature in my humble opinion.
Save your money on expensive interconnects and speaker cables and use funds only where they are going to make a discernable difference is my motto.
Source and speakers are where the money goes.
A £1200 amp driving £250 speakers is where you don't want to be....
If your preference is standmounts might I suggest the Arcaydis EB2S
Minimos are creatively engineered and have enough sound attributes and continue to pleasantly surprise in delivery given their size.They do benefit by having a good power high current amp. A another setup i run is Yamaha RN-803 with Xavian Bonbonus (v2) .
Agree with your suggestions on ICs/cables.I dont plan to spend big bucks here.
Source Network player DNP 800 NE has been a useful step up in improving the source .Haved move away from physical media . Iam not into CD,LP or tape though there are merits in physical media.

GroeneLeeuw

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
I own a PMA1600NE since more or less 3 years, combined with Focal Chorus 726. Very satisfied with the combination. Source is a WIN10 laptop connected through USB to play FLAC music collection + Tidal.
As the advice above, don´t spend too much money on interconnects or speaker cable.

Last edited:
Reactions: nn_in
Reason for asking > Its useful to know which spkr they used as that would be one of the best combos with 1600 NE
Not necessarily, they used the same speakers with all of the amps and it would have been their reference pair that was suited to their listening room. Those speakers might not necessarily be ideal in your listening room.
I forget the number of times I have stated on here that you don't normally pick speakers to match an amplifier you pick them to work well in a particular room.

nn_in

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Yes, of course. It´s the Focal Chorus 726.
Those have been discontinued now and replaced with the Chora line.
Heard the Focal Aria 906 with the Denon 1600NE and it was very good well.

So indeed, give Focal a go if you have the chance.
Maybe month end the 1600NE should arrive. To start with i would need to run it existing Wharfedale 11.2 and Ophidian Minimos. Meanwhile getting Focal demos may not be easy.

Reactions: GroeneLeeuw

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts