Denon Remote (RC-1099) Not Working

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Hello all - slightly urgent query here. My DENON RC-1099 remote (for my AVR-1909) has pretty-much stopped working.
This started last year - the majority of back-panel buttons gave up, so any changes to the set-up had to be done via the buttons on the receiver itself. That was annoying, but today the volume has stopped working - more critical! The on-off button and DVD/BD/TV select buttons work, but that's it.
The little red light lights up to indicate a button has been pressed, but nothing happens.
To head off obvious replies at the pass - yes there's nothing in the way, and yes I've changed batteries.
Any ideas - can remotes be repaired?
I've seen them on eBay for £28, and another site quotes £70 (which makes me a bit dubious about the eBay one).
Have considered the Harmony route, but the Harmony 1 doesn't have "the red button" for interactive, and also it will make it hard to sell on when I'm finally allowed to upgrade.
Help!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
In my experience, just about every remote packs up or becomes flaky in its performance eventually.

I'm sure the remote could be repaired, but whether it would be cost-effective to do so is another matter.

Best bet is probably to contact Denon and get a quote for a replacement, and see how you go from there...

A

Anonymous

Why not go for a different model of Harmony Remote with the coloured buttons on the fascia ? The 900, 700, 525 etc. ?

An all-in-one activity based remote is the way to go - banish your other remotes to the cupboard !

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
while that's attractive - the missus has embargoed frivilous spends. So if I can replace for £30, I'll have to do that, rather than spend £70-100 on another Logitech. In any case, I'll never sell the 1909 on without a remote... And I know I'll want to upgrade sooner or later!

A

Anonymous

When did you get the amp? My 2808 isn't 2 years old yet. Can't you use the 2 year warranty rule that seems to get mentioned on the forum?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Have enquired with the retailer. I imagine they'll say it's because it was 'mistreated'. I've not been using it as a stand-in lump hammer, but it's hard to prove that!

A

Anonymous

Fair point. Though if it doesn't come off then you can get the Harmony 555 for £44.99 on Amazon. I've used one for the bedroom kit for a couple of years now and it's a safe bet.

A

Anonymous

Indeedy. If the commands can be sent by your official remote, then the Harmony can send them. :)

Bizarrely enough, there are cases where the Harmony can send more commands than the original remote. For example, the remote that came with my Sony X3500 doesn't have a command/button for discrete inputs, yet on the Harmony database there are indeed commands for discrete HDMI inputs which is a real bonus.

I can't state the case strongly enough for the benefits of a) only having one remote and b) Pressing just the one button and having all your kit turn on, going to the correct inputs, and setting the correct sound modes etc.

Some people say that they've found the Logitech software a tad difficult to understand but I can't fathom how ! I think it's a bit of a breeze personally, especially when compared to, say, a Pronto.

If you do decide to go ahead with it, and you get stuck at all then stick a thread up on here and I'll talk you through it.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Thanks - very kind. I may well do so, if I get no joy from Denon. The one potential bug-bear for her indoors is that we turn off everything fully each evening (i.e. no standby if poss) and I understand that Harmony gets confused if you take matters into your own hands (i.e. If you turn something on manually and it thinks its still off, it doesn't know what do to)? THE_FORCE: I can't state the case strongly enough for the benefits of ... Pressing just the one button and having all your kit turn on

A

Anonymous

Big Aura:Thanks - very kind. I may well do so, if I get no joy from Denon. The one potential bug-bear for her indoors is that we turn off everything fully each evening (i.e. no standby if poss) and I understand that Harmony gets confused if you take matters into your own hands (i.e. If you turn something on manually and it thinks its still off, it doesn't know what do to)?

Yea you're quite correct - I apologise as I don't subscribe to the complete powering down of products. Standby all the way for me lol !

Though you only need to simply press the 'Help' button a few times to switch things between on/off states. Complete powering down, like you do, sort of negates the use of an all in one remote really !

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Big Aura:

Hello all - slightly urgent query here. My DENON RC-1099 remote (for my AVR-1909) has pretty-much stopped working.
This started last year - the majority of back-panel buttons gave up, so any changes to the set-up had to be done via the buttons on the receiver itself. That was annoying, but today the volume has stopped working - more critical! The on-off button and DVD/BD/TV select buttons work, but that's it.
The little red light lights up to indicate a button has been pressed, but nothing happens.
To head off obvious replies at the pass - yes there's nothing in the way, and yes I've changed batteries.
Any ideas - can remotes be repaired?
I've seen them on eBay for £28, and another site quotes £70 (which makes me a bit dubious about the eBay one).
Have considered the Harmony route, but the Harmony 1 doesn't have "the red button" for interactive, and also it will make it hard to sell on when I'm finally allowed to upgrade.
Help! Hi Big A, Take a Look Here, www.espares.co.uk [ part No ES1100947 ] It is in stock for £74.99 expensive I know,then again if you want sell your 1909 on later. cheers Rod

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
ta - had a look at a similar site (for a tenner less). These are commonly available in the US for $20, it's scandalous that they go for 5 times that here. 20% of the cost of the amp isn't the remote!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts