celtic88

Aug 31, 2020
Visit site
Hi Folks.

I'm new to this site and lacking in knowledge, but keen to get up to speed and am spending an inordinate amount of time reading reviews and articles.

I have purchased a Denon PMA-600NE on backorder. I'm itching to receive delivery. No date as yet... it's been a couple of weeks already.

So I'm thinking maybe I switch to the PMA-800NE (which I can get sooner).

However try as I might, I'm unable to see why it costs 50% more or how it would be better for me.

I don't need the additional port and don't care about losing bluetooth. Those are the only differences I have been able to find. I know there has to be more to it than that but I can't find any article, review or spec comparison that is revealing to me (with my limited knowledge).

I'd appreciate some help in seeing what I am missing here.

(I am going to be using the amp with a turntable only for now - with a view to adding a CD player, tuner and possibly a cassette player over time).

Thanks!

3 main differences:

1. The 800 has a bit more power at 85w (600 has 70w).
2. The 800 can accept MC cartridges too.
3. The 800 omits Bluetooth.
Still not enough for that difference in price I feel.
Suggest if the OP has no intention of using MC cartridges then he wait for the backorder to arrive.
..................But wait a minute, it's not 50% more it's £50 more, at least it is in the UK.
Not quite the difference the OP mentioned and it's acceptable for the differences listed by yourself.
Perhaps the OP isn't in the UK

gasolin

more power doesn't mean better sound

it's only 5 watt diffrence in 8 ohm, 4 ohm i don't know because the 60 watt from the marantz is not rated at any frequency and thd, the 85watt from the dennon amp is 1khz with 0.7% thd which indicates max 1 db difference between the marantz and denon amp

Reactions: celtic88

celtic88

Aug 31, 2020
Visit site
Still not enough for that difference in price I feel.
Suggest if the OP has no intention of using MC cartridges then he wait for the backorder to arrive.
..................But wait a minute, it's not 50% more it's £50 more, at least it is in the UK.
Not quite the difference the OP mentioned and it's acceptable for the differences listed by yourself.
Perhaps the OP isn't in the UK

Wow, in the US it's $400 vs $600. So yes, 50% is a huge difference.

gasolin

I did check, he is in NYC, there is a new Marantz PM6007 and it's expensive, mabye som have the PM6006 in stock and are selling it cheap not to have to many of the amps stock when they get the new PM6007

Denon and marantz are a part of the same company, together with defenitive technology and some other brands i can't remember, so denon and marantz amps should sound very similar, about the same.

Hawkmoon

Feb 19, 2020
Visit site
Hi Folks.

I'm new to this site and lacking in knowledge, but keen to get up to speed and am spending an inordinate amount of time reading reviews and articles.

I have purchased a Denon PMA-600NE on backorder. I'm itching to receive delivery. No date as yet... it's been a couple of weeks already.

So I'm thinking maybe I switch to the PMA-800NE (which I can get sooner).

However try as I might, I'm unable to see why it costs 50% more or how it would be better for me.

I don't need the additional port and don't care about losing bluetooth. Those are the only differences I have been able to find. I know there has to be more to it than that but I can't find any article, review or spec comparison that is revealing to me (with my limited knowledge).

I'd appreciate some help in seeing what I am missing here.

(I am going to be using the amp with a turntable only for now - with a view to adding a CD player, tuner and possibly a cassette player over time).

Thanks!
They look very similar. I have a PMA800 in my B system at the office - it's a decent amp but note it does not have a sub out, which is a bit of an omission. Also if you are a fan of tone controls, this is not a good amp - the tone controls are poor and the amp sounds much better with them switched out. Otherwise it is a well built solid amp with plenty of power

manicm

more power doesn't mean better sound

it's only 5 watt diffrence in 8 ohm, 4 ohm i don't know because the 60 watt from the marantz is not rated at any frequency and thd, the 85watt from the dennon amp is 1khz with 0.7% thd which indicates max 1 db difference between the marantz and denon amp

More power never killed anyone 🙂

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts