Denon M38 seeks new budget speakers for classical music

Thropplenoggin

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I have a Denon M38 microsystem and am looking to procure new speakers for it to get the most out of this humble system. I am currently using the bundled speakers but now have them on Atacama stands and linked via Chord Silverscreen cables.

My listening habits are classical - solo piano, string quartets, orchestral, opera, choral - so ideally I'd find a speaker happy with this music and with the limitations of the amp (30w per channel). I don't listen too loud but would like more detail at low-medium volume.

My budget is tight - £100-140.

I've had my eye on the Q Acoustic 2010is, as these have received excellent reviews and are now bundled in packages with the Denon M39. I think they should be easy for the Denon to drive.

The other speaker is the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1, tho' I wonder if the Denon's amp would get the most out of them.

When funds allow it, I am planning on building a separates system for music listening, but can't afford to do so at present.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Thropplenoggin

p.s. I've already read lots of threads on here and elsewhere so know that classical music generally needs high-end gear. i.e. I'm aware of the limitations of my budget/set-up.

Magic 99

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
If you could up your budget just a bit, try Dali Zensor 1s I have an old DM37 with Wharfedale 9.1s but was amazed when I swapped my Zensor 1s over from my other system. The DM37 has quite a rich ouput to my ears anyway and I assume the DM38 might be similar. If you are planning to upgrade in the future, these speakers will easily stand a jump upwards.

ClaudioC

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Denon M33 microsystem which I used with the Denon speakers it came with... Recently I had to let my Pre / Power amplifier of my separates system go. As I also use a streaming CA Sonata NP30 device, I moved the M33 and hooked it to my ProAc Tablette Reference 8!!! The difference is amazing !!! So my 5p worth of advise: Get the best speakers you can afford (or even wait to afford something better) and consider your speakers your first stem into building a separates system. The Denon is a very capable little monster and with better speakers it will keep you smiling for quite some time ...

Thropplenoggin

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I agree it makes sense to buy with a view to partnering the speakers with a better amp, but I also want to get the best sound I can out of this one, and maybe keep it as a separate system for another room.

I've had my eye on the Dali Zensor 1s for a while, because of their excellent reputation, though does this apply to classical music? I'm not very good at the physics behind the sound, but I pulled these stats up from the Superfi site:

Dali Zensor 1

Nominal impedance: 6 ohms
Recommended amp power: 25 - 100 watts

QA 2010s

Nominal impedance: 6 ohms
Recommended amp power: 15 - 75 watts

Since the M38 has 30 watts p.c., does this mean they will drive the 2010is better? This was the same quandary I had with the 2020is.

Thropplenoggin

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, Magic 99.

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that it makes sense to pay the extra in the short term, seeing as they'll go well with a future amp and CD player purchases (possibly NAD 316 or 326 BEE/NAD C 516 BEE or Marantz PM6005/CD6005).

Thropplenoggin

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
A quick thank you to Magic99. Took delivery of Dali Zensor 1s this morning on your advice, and what a difference they have already made to my humble M-38 system. Best of all is pairing them with music via a Fiio X3 (a lovely piece of budget kit)...an astonishing transformation already.

So many thanks for your excellent advice!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts