Denon DM38

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Just a quick question - Would I notice a significant improvement in sound quality - playing CDs - by upgrading from my ageing Denon DM31 (hooked up to a pair of Q-Acoustics 2020is) to the Denon DM38, or would I hardly notice the difference? I'm thinking improvements would be minimal, but y'all might have a different opinion.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The D-M38 is better, but i'd describe is as an incremental upgrade.

For not much more money, you could gain a significant uplift in performance (and features) by opting for a Denon CEOL (now available for £349) or a Marantz MCR-603 (now from £379).

They'd both also give you the performance headroom for a speaker upgrade at a later date (not that there's anything wrong with your excellent Q Acoustics - they should thrive on the end of these superior systems - it's just that these two newer systems are both capable of driving even better speakers as/when you fancy).

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
OK, thanks for the reply, Clare. I had considered the Marantz MCR603, so it's now on my demo shortlist. I'm also considering the Marantz PM6004 and CD6004 combo. I know this set up wouldn't have all the features of the MCR, but, for a little over a hundred quid more, I'm thinking the sound quality would trump the one boxer by some considerable margin.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
The 603 is very, very good IMO but if you don't need/want the extras I would look at the 6004 combo instead.I downsized from the 6003 combo 2-days ago (don't worry, I've still got it!) and I've been very impressed so far. But there is a caveat
The 603 is very, very good IMO, but if you don't need/want the extras I would look at the 6004 combo instead. I downsized from the 6003 combo 2-days ago (don't worry, I've still got it!) and I've been very impressed so far. But there is a caveat.

Circumstances dictate that for speaker listening I have to listen at relatively low volumes, and at this level the differences between the 603 and my 6003 set-up I have found to be relatively minimal. so far. This afternoon - and as I type - I'm listening to it through my head-fi for the first time and this is where the differences are showing. There is a distinct lack of fullness and punch in comparison - Lady GaGa "Born This Way" just doesn't penetrate and thump my head in the same way; I haven't got the enveloping warmth and detail whilst listening to "Raising Sand"; missing the detail and the plucked strings on Nirvana "Unplugged".

I used to have a DM37 and loved it but for the stupidly wide increments on the digitised volume control. It totally ruined what was a great little system and I gather the 38 hasn't resolved this issue either. If you went for the 603 I guarantee you wouldn't be disappointed, but if you only want a CD set-up then definitely demo the 6004 combo amongst others.

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, Sizzers. Really quite keen to have a listen to both the MCR and the separates, now. Might well be calling my local Sevenoaks tomorrow morning...

A

Anonymous

Hi Claire,

Good advice for us newbies all here, thanks. Where have you seen the Marantz for £379? I can't find it anywhere for that price?

Also in your opinion I notice the DM38 has been out for so long now - do you think an upgrade is due anytime soon? I am considering it as an option but wonder, if in in your opinion, Denon may release a new version anytime soon? (at the moment the volume increment is really putting me off, the jump from a low level to high volume level is just too great. That, an the fact that Denon may add in a couple of updates features to the micro, AirPlay maybe, or just other general updated features).

Thanks in advance,

Sam

A

Anonymous

Might it be worth listening to the D-M38DAB anyway? It might be enough of an uplift and save you some cash for CDs....I have one and it's a cracking little machine.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Re the CEOL - a great little system but strangely it doesn't have DAB. While FM is meant to be better than DAB, DAB has more choice, and FM will eventually be switched off, so it's not very future-proof.

As for the Marantz -that is a good price for the 603 - let me know when someone finds it at that!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Big Aura said:
As for the Marantz -that is a good price for the 603 - let me know when someone finds it at that!

warriorz said:
Where have you seen the Marantz for £379? I can't find it anywhere for that price?

It was £379 back in January when this thread started and when Clare posted.

It is now back up to nearer it's original price at £479 in most places. (Even Richer Sounds.)

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
thanks Chebby. I've got a bit of bonus money coming my way and fancied treating myself...

I may just go for broke and buy a Sonos, but that will require careful negotiation with her indoors....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts