Denon DBP2012UD Price dropping

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
keiser1 said:
there's a few Denon 2500bt's popping up on E-Bay now and again but I'm unsure about buying AV goods second hand. I've not had the chance to see either the 2500Bt or the 2012UD running, so apart from the obvious one being a transport and one being universal (neither really affects me) in your oppinion which would you say is the better Blu-ray player?

In my view, if you can get a 2500BT for the right price (I certainly wouldn't pay more than £200), and the only thing that's important to you is Blu-ray/DVD performance, I'd save yourself some money and get this over the 2012UD. The 2500BT is virtually bomb-proof, so the fact that you'd be buying second-hand shouldn't really be seen as a problem (all of this assumes that you don't want/need a 3D-ready Blu-ray player).

My only caveat, as noted above, would be the possibility of problems with firmware in future (i.e. if Denon stop providing firmware updates for older machines). It's something to think about, but as Michael notes, he's had no problems playing any discs on the 2500BT (and neither have I).

Slightly slower loading times may also be a problem for you; but, to be honest, by the time it's in action all is forgiven in this respect (that's just my position and others may feel differently).

Hope that's some help...

keiser1

Dec 8, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
2) The 2500BT is over 3 generations old. You've got the Pioneer 51FD; you know better than others about manufacturer's sluggish support with firmware updates of older players. What's the guarantee that the manufacturer will continue to support the 2500BT?

4) The 2500BT is quite slow to load discs. The 2012UD is much faster.

These are the two factors I'm now most interested in, I've not given much thought to the fact manufacturers will support older models with firmware upgrades, I'd just presumed they always would. As loading times go my Pioneer takes so long to load, just opening the tray takes far to long.

It seems to me the wiser choice to me would be the 2012UD

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts