Denon AVR 4308

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
We've already reviewed the Denon AVR-4308 back in November last year, and it got 4 stars. We think it's a superb multimedia hub, but way too pricey, which is why we docked it a star. You can get similar sound quality for half the price.

As for the Onkyo TX-SR905, our Editor-in-Chief Clare Newsome has been running one at home over Christmas and we'll be publishing a review in the March issue of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision, on sale February 10.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for responding so quickly Andy - excellent customere service. I will look out for the March issue, in the meantime is it possible to get a copy of the review of the Denon AVR 4308?

A

Anonymous

Being doing some on line research so further advice needed. I have an Arcam FMJA32 and Primare 30.2 biamping my B&W 804 speakers. So stereo listening (Primare CD 31 and ClearAudio Performance) uses this system.

For home cinema etc I use the same amps to drive the front speakers and I have a B&W HTM3 Centre and B&W 700 Series surround and rear driven by Primare power amps. I use a Yamaha RXV 2600 purely as a preamp with the Arcam in Processor mode. I have a REL R505 subwoofer also. This system gives a grat sound in both stereo and home cinema.

Because of my set up I need to have 12v trigger outs to switch on the power amps once the Yamaha receiver is powered up. The Yamaha provides this facility. Looking at the instruction manual for the Onkyo SR 875 on their site it appears that it only provides a 12v trigger to zone 2. The same appears to apply to their next model up.

However the Marantz SR7002 @ £1000 and the Denon AVR 3808 @ £1300 appear to provide the 12v triggers that I need ( If I revert to havng to switch on the power amp manually as well as being a pain I won't be popular with the rest of the family for complicating things!!)

Following your reply to my first posting I had more or less decided to go for the Onkyo 875. Now it appears that the Marantz or Denon are a better bet for my situation. Read the positive review of the Marantz in the mag. I'm assuming that either of these would be significant improvement on the Yamaha. What do you think?

A

Anonymous

Hi Andy,

Would like to hear your professional opinion. Been saving up for a home entertainment system. Current wish list includes Pioneer PDP-LX508G, Denon AVR3808/4308, and B&W XT series 5.1 set up. My question is would you go with Denon 3808 or 4308? And with you go with the XT series or some other B&W model (given similar budget)?

Cheers,

Randy.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="randolph_yu"]My question is would you go with Denon 3808 or 4308?[/quote]

I'm afraid we've only tested the Denon 4308 (see my comments above), so I can't comment on the performance of the 3808. We gave the £900 2808 four stars for its fine performance and flexibility.

As for the the B&W XTs, they're fab, so I'd go with them no problem.

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys, Could you please tell me if the Wireless back (Surrond sound) B&W Speakers for my cinema set up are any good ? I quite like the idea of not having to trail wires around my lounge

Thanks for any help.

PD

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andy Clough"]
[quote user="randolph_yu"]My question is would you go with Denon 3808 or 4308?[/quote]

I'm afraid we've only tested the Denon 4308 (see my comments above), so I can't comment on the performance of the 3808. We gave the £900 2808 four stars for its fine performance and flexibility.

As for the the B&W XTs, they're fab, so I'd go with them no problem.
[/quote]
Andy this is slightly off topic but could be an alternative ..How do the BW XT series compare with BW 805...Not just in HC mode but also in stereo.

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
Andy also do you have to run a sub in stereo mode or do the XT 4 have enough bass on their own...And are they more of a 700 series quality speaker than 800 series /.......I guess what im saying is it would be nice to have an 800 series version of the BW XT..

A

Anonymous

Hi Andy,

I actually bought a Denon 4308ci and, as stated, was planning to match it with a B&W XT series 5.1 system. However, because my wife doesn't approve of their appearance, the XTs are now vetoed. And to greater dismay, she said she'll only accept of B&O speakers. I'm not a seasoned enthusiasts so pardon my amateur questions, but if you could help me shine some light on the following:

1. Are B&O speakers compatible with third party receivers, heard rumors that they might be difficult to integrate, requiring different cables and separate power sources, etc.

2. The B&O reps always try to sell "lifestyle" thus would want me to go all out with B&O, saying that performance with third party equipment will heavily discounted. Are there any merits to their statements.

Cheers,

Randy.

ANS

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I was wondering whether there is a descent user guide for DENON avr 4308, as the official one is the worst manual I have ever come across! It doesn't explain anything.

To put it softly, it just says that if you press this button, then you can press one of the following buttons!

thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts