denon avr 1910 and ps3 setup

adam.carling

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
just got the denon avr 1910 amp and boston soundware xs speakers (my first venture into HD surround sound, when i connected these up to my ps3 (old 40 gig) with 2 qed hdmi cables, ps3 to amp and amp to lcd tv, When I play a blu-ray disc; niether the HD audio light or dolby true hd lights, have come on, i am getting surround sound but how do i get HD surround sound (i have tried swearing at it but that doesn't really work), i have treid different settings on the ps3 (bit stream and LPCM) any advise would be much appreciated, cheers

Pindi

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
The fat PS3 decodes the sound format internally, so it will only display something like 'Multi in' on the Denon. Correct me if I'm wrong somebody...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Correct, because you are using the older 'fat' PS3, you should set it to use Linear PCM - the amp will display something like Multich or Multi in, as it is receiving the decoded PCM soundtrack, not the encoded Dolby TrueHD / DTS Master Audio signal (i.e. the decoding has been done by the PS3, so the amp is receiving the uncompressed HD soundtrack). Pressing Select on the PS3 when a film with an HD soundtrack is playing will confirm what the PS3 is decoding in the top right hand corner so you know you are definitely getting the HD track.

A

Anonymous

The setting u need to change on ps3 is

Settings -> Audio Settings -> BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HMDI) - set to Linear PCM

You wont get the DTS-MA/TrueHD lights on your amp - it will just say PCM but it is actually doing it lossless.

If ur not convinced try connecting an optical between the 2 so u only get 5.1 and comparing - the difference is night and day

A

Anonymous

I borrowed a AVR-1911 from hifiklubben.dk. It said "Dolby Digital" when playing a game on the PS3. A day later I bought a similar receiver from hifiklubben.dk, and that 1 just says "MULTI IN".

Audio info from the AVR's status menu says

Audio Input Signal

Surround Mode:

Multi Ch In

Signal :pCM

fs :48kHz

Format: 3/4/.1

Tuz

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
I also own a 1910 and PS3.

The Denon is correctly decoding but the display via a PS3 usually states Multi Ch In.

A good example is that if you watch a blu ray the input will say Multi Ch In but if you press display on the PS3 conroller the output will state Dolby True HD etc.

I downloaded a separate manual and it explains this further - let me know if you want a copy

cheers

TRENDING THREADS