DENON 1940 HDMI for Picture-Analog Sound-Lyp Sync issue

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
SOUND PROBLEM

My Denon DVD 1940 produces a fantastic 1080i Picture-better than 720p in fact. Watched 'The Fog' original version this evening and it was absolutely great-The blacks and detail were wonderful for a 1979/1980 film

I have my 42inc Plasma and the Denon connected via HDMI, I have also connected the Denon with my Exposure Stereo Amp with QED2 interconnects.

However the speech/Lip movement of the actors isn't entirely synchronised with the sound I get from the speakers via 2.1 channel stereo and I would like to know if this can be achieved?

If I turn off the amp, and just hear through the TV , then everything's fine as I guess it would be seeing as the HDMI cable carries both the picture and sound.

The 2.1 sound through my Analog amp and bronze2 Monitor Audios is great-Speech is crystal clear, but in order for me to enjoy the experience more I would love to be able to see the actors lips move in line with what they are saying.

Incidentally, the Sound output on my player is set to HDMI Analog 2.1-Is this right?

I've also got PCM and Bitsream but don't know which setting to use?

The instruction book is useless-can't understand it!

PICTURE QUESTION

When I change the HDMI output to 720p on the display panel , while the DVD is playing it doesn't show the small 'p' for progressive scan on the display. However, if I go into SETUP and change the display settings to COMPONENT PROGRESSIVE the small 'p' does show up on the display but then I haven't got the player connected to my TV with COMPONENT Cable....Just HDMI

However I love the 1080i picture output ( I don't have a 1080p TV).

Meanwhile, therefore is it a 'CON' of the machine itself in that the only way you can watch in either 720p or 1080p is if you connect the DENON to the TV with a COMPONENT Cable instead of an HDMI cable?

Finally, does anyone know if you can change the HDMI output via the Remote Control as I only seem to be able to do so manually by getting up in pressing the button the display.

Can anyone advise...Cheers

A

Anonymous

Oh well thanks for all the expert responses to what was obviously a fairly simple answer in the first place.

Pity that magazines and manufacturers only tell you What to buy but don't actually point out the potential pitfalls, albeit minor at times, when wishing to match with other items in a system. for example, that there might actually be a problem regarding Lyp Sync issues when connecting a DVD player via HDMI but wanting to hear sound through a Hi Fi Stereo amp.

The only way now of addressing this problem is for me to buy an A/V amp, but all I want to do is to listen to the dialogue and associated sound through my stereo which only has RCA Phono L & R inputs.

It seems that once you buy something in this hi tech so-called hi def world there's a multitude of add-ons you also have to consider-a big money rip off vicious circle that most of us are slowly but surely being sucked into. To all of us who are , at this time of the year the Christmas carol : God Rest Ye Merry Mental Men comes to mind! ....for there is much to be dismayed

This is Samsung's reply:

Is there not a setting on your amp to delay or put forward the sound. I know that most modern systems have this function. If it does not try connecting the left and right audio to your TV to check if it is in sync. If it is not I would say it is a fault with the player. If it is in sync then I would say it is fault with your amp.

Is your amp an old hi-fi? The reason I ask is that our products have had lip synching issues with them and there is nothing that can really be done to fix the issue.

This is Denon's response:
This is caused by the amount of video processing going on in your display screen, as all LCD or Plasma screens only run in progressive scan and then need to scale the image to fit the panel itself.So in its design they would have delayed the audio to compensate for this.Your stereo amp has no processing at all, so it instantly provides audio and so is out of sync with your display. What you will find in A/V amps is an audio delay feature that allows you to hold back the audio for a certain amount of time to allow you to correct for this.

A

Anonymous

PS: I shall be parading in my Santa Claus suit this evening outside my local Tesco Store-Please do give generously to Santa's AV Amp cause

Having said that: Watched Sleepy Hollow just now and the sound is working fine and no lyp Sync issues at all......so don't know what's going on to be quite honest...yet with other DVD's there are lyp sync problems. So, why is it OK on some DVD's but not others.

In this age of hi technology there surely must be a way of being able to synchronise the dialogue effectively via a Stereo Amp....I mean...Come On!

A

Anonymous

DENON have been great answering me this afernoon-good customer service and the web is now even more untangled.

They say:

As far as we are aware the sound track on Sleepy Hollow is 2 channel Dolby, so there isn't the need to down convert a full 5.1 sound track as it would with other discs that contain a true 5.1 soundtrack, hence no lip syn issues playing Sleepy Hollow back via the Stereo Amp

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Have the setting as component even if you are using hdmi and also have it set to RGB when you see the option. If your set can play 1080p, so will the Denon. Mine does. As for the lip sync, I use the delay option on my receiver and it works fine. The menu is not the best I agree. If I was you, I would press initialise and start again using the settings suggested in the manual. I played around with mine and the picture wasn't great, I pressed initialise and it was like WOW!!!!

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:

Thanks for that. Nothing wrong the picture-As you say and I can agree with you, it's definitely a Wow!!

Only problem is Lip Sync so may have to consider an AV amp or just leave the sound to play through my TV. As long as the dialogue is clear I'm not that worried though, of course, wish I could play it without any issues through my lovely Exposure Stereo Amp.

What Receiver do you have by the way. I've looked at a DENON AVR1707 for £170.00 on Superfi-Not sure if has the audio delay function, but if it does, it may be an option as long as I can just use my Monitor Audio BR1's with it-Thanks again for your help

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I have the Sont STRDA1200es. I bought it for £300 but you can find it a little cheaper I think - maybe £270, probably less if you hunted. I just bought my bro-in-law the Denon avr-1508 for about £220 and it's excellent - he has the Denon 1740 an it works well.

A

Anonymous

Apparently you can buy Audio Delay Single Units to combat the problem of Lip Sync issues with both DVD players and AV/Stereo Amps.

They're are looking into the possibility of sourcing one for me though I won't pay through the nose just for the privilidge of having one as I have spent enough on my AV system

Meanwhile I have come across this site: http://www.felston.com/ though really would like something to work between the DVD player and the Stereo amp. I am also told you can get Lip Sync issues on the very best AV amps too and most of the blame for this apparently lies at the manufacturers/Film Companies door as they don't seem to take care with synchronisation of sound and video.....buy why not?

Has WHFI S & V any plans to do a review on some of these wothwhile devices in the future?

A

Anonymous

Review of the Felston here and some comments

http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article.asp?sp=332671698506332807524&v=5&uan=356

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts