Demo of speakers

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

How long would you take to demo speakers.

I have a shortlist of about 4 or 5 and going to see if my
local dealer has them in to demo.

Its such a long list as I cant decide whether to go with
standmounts this time, or stick with floorstanders.

My room is about 3 yds x 7 yds.

I intend to take my own equipment in, which is a bit of
hassle, but I think it will be worth it.

How long would you take to demo?....I ask as I can be a bit
of a fanny and don’t want to overdo it

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Long list - 4 or 5????????????????????????????????????????????????

I am pretty sure that at least one of five will drop out quickly, but unless you are stunned by one then 3 sessions of 1 to 2 hours should crack it.

Fundamentaly, it should take as long as you need to convince yourself to part with your hard earnt pennies.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi relocated

I was going to demo them all at the same session if I can, as I have the hassle of taking all my equipment in.

My list might get smaller when I chat to the dealer.

T

the record spot

Up to SIX hours?!?! Blimey, I picked mine from a selection of four in an hour. Was on the money too!

A

Anonymous

the record spot said:
Up to SIX hours?!?! Blimey, I picked mine from a selection of four in an hour. Was on the money too!

This is more my thinking too. If you're starting off with 4-5, whittle it down to 3 pairs quickly. Then you can compare 3 speakers in 60-90 minute I would think. With speakers, it should be fairly obvious what you're preferences are. Make sure you demo them with your source equipment, or something very similar otherwise they will sound quite different when you get them home.

Or, as I have done in the past, see if you can take your selected speakers home for an evening or a Sunday (the shops demo pair), this will help to confirm the choice.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Womaz,

If you are going to the effort of humping your gear to the dealer for initial demo then I am sure that any dealer worth using will let you demo your final one or two choices at home. You really need to hear them at home if at all possible or get a cast-iron promise that you can return your purchase if they don't work out ok at home.

Let us know how you get on. Best of luck.

:cheers:

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
That's right, you have got it. UP TO 6 hours. I took easily this amount of time when I last spent money on hifi/av. Must have been worth the effort on both sides though because 8+ years later I'm as happy as a pig in effluent.

Pleased you're happy record spot with just an hour.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The trick is to not go through them one by one, and then at the end be so confused that you do it again. Pick two pairs, demo them until you know which pair you'd choose from that two. Pick another two pairs, do the same. A bit like a knockout competition. When you have left what you've chose, choose two, then decide wpbetween those two.

Listening to numerous pairs together and swapping them round all the time will just end up in confusion. Two at a time will keep you focused and clear about what you've heard.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
This is more my thinking too. If you're starting off with 4-5, whittle it down to 3 pairs quickly. Then you can compare 3 speakers in 60-90 minute I would think. With speakers, it should be fairly obvious what you're preferences are. Make sure you demo them with your source equipment, or something very similar otherwise they will sound quite different when you get them home.

I am taking my equipment in for sure, as I feel that is essential.

That's right, you have got it. UP TO 6 hours. I took easily this amount of time when I last spent money on hifi/av. Must have been worth the effort on both sides though because 8+ years later I'm as happy as a pig in effluent.

For me this will be a fairly big expenditure so I will take this long if I need to. I was just wondering if the dealer will be sitting there getting impatient :)

The trick is to not go through them one by one, and then at the end be so confused that you do it again. Pick two pairs, demo them until you know which pair you'd choose from that two. Pick another two pairs, do the same. A bit like a knockout competition. When you have left what you've chose, choose two, then decide wpbetween those two.

Listening to numerous pairs together and swapping them round all the time will just end up in confusion. Two at a time will keep you focused and clear about what you've heard.

This seems very good advice, I will definitely do that. Thank you

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts