Demo help, £2k Recievers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

Hey I once brought the Mission Elegante Speakers had them all brand new waiting for the new amps to come out, then I realised they were going to be to bright a match for the Pioneer Amp I wanted.

So I traded them in at an AV shop straight for a Brand new B&W MT30 package.

A man's got to do what a man's got to do!

A

Anonymous

@ FrankHarveyHifi

So you would recommend the CM sub over the PV1 even though it has one best sub of the yr 5 years running?

I figured it would be more musical given the twin smaller drivers and pressure vessel design (also less rumble for my neighbours) and still be awesome for movies?

@ Gel - you have the PV1 - just how awesome is it and does it go as low similarly priced 10 or 12 inch subs?

D

Deleted member 2457

The B&W PV1 is simply stunning - musically, movies, anything 500Watts, I would never change for another Sub.

I certainly don't need any more power. Also turning my amp on my sub comes a live at the same time, then automatically turns it self off when I turn my amp of.

The best around for me

A

Anonymous

Gel - that concurs with what I have read

Frankharvey - why do you not think that is the case?

Anyway - I dont want to Hijack the Amp thread so if anyone knows of any good demo facilities in London or around - Im all ears

D

Deleted member 2457

How about sorry in advance what hi fi team Sevenoaks, there shops always demo I know definelty Epsom Sevenoaks demo the B&W PV1.

A

Anonymous

I can offer my input on the PV1.

I had a Sunfire HRS-10, paired with B&W 684/686/HTM62 and Yamaha RX-V1900 and 'upgraded' the sub to the PV1.

The difference I hear from movies is a tighter, more accurate, short punch, compared to soggy, flabby long bass I got from the HRS-10, which is a £1K sub - same price as a PV1 roughly. In addition, the bass from the Sunfire tended to sound one-dimensional with every bass note sounding the same with no variance. The PV1 tends to sound less 'coloured' you could say.

For music the PV1 is better too. It seems to keep up with the musical basslines better than the HRS-10, which always felt kinda retracted a little. The PV1 also amazes me how you do not get any cabinet reasonance or rattle - only the drivers move.

People say that other subs can go lower than the PV1 for half the cost, but I personally don't think that its the defacto for a large percentage of us that use our systems in your average sized rooms. Plus it looks great!

Now I haven't got a problem with spending a grand on a sub. I don't want a great big massive box or cylinder in my room for the same money. You could view the two splendid 8" drivers as one large 16" driver for those that bang on about 12" subs. Cheating, I know!

I hope my feedback has been helpful.

A

Anonymous

CarlP - thanks for the very detailed post - its info like that that is extremely useful. My setup is going to a semi dedicated room but It still has to look OK - the wife is letting me use the lounge so as a cinema so I got to make it look ok - hence im trying to stick with a sub that is a 'looker'. I think im trying to decide between the two B&W subs - the CM series sub and the Pv1. Pete - they have a gloss black sub - that's food for thought for me thanks Gel - I have tried many of the mainstream hifi shops including the one you mentioned - its just no-one seems to have the amp and speakers I'm considering in one place so comparing is just impossible. Everyone says you MUST audition but really what I need to do is side by side comparisons of speakers and amps and that's proving impossible.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
KBaudio:Pete - they have a gloss black sub - that's food for thought for me thanks

I did some research on the BK XLS300/PR elsewhere on the internet which gives details on the benefits of the passive radiator this sub employs. I found it to be a great replacement for my aging REL Q150E. It goes deep but when I use it with music it's able to keep pace with my fast Proac's. Produces a very clean bass.

D

Deleted member 2457

KBaudio - What would you like to audition which speakers and amps?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
KBaudio:Frankharvey - why do you not think that is the case?The PV1 is a good little sub, and looks a little different to your usual hulking great cube, but as far as depth and scale goes, it can't compete with anything else at the same price point. I can understand why people go for it, and it will suit a lot of people, but it's just not up to the best at it's size or price point.

A

Anonymous

gel:KBaudio - What would you like to audition which speakers and amps?

Id really like to compare.....

AMPS: Onkyo 3007, Denon 4310, Yam Z7 (wouldnt mind hearing the Sony 5400 and the pioneer lx82)

SPEAKERS: B&W CM 7 and 9's, Monitor Audio GS20's and 60's, Focal 826 and 816 and the Special edition versions

I have found places to audition the speakers but not with these amps and never all together so I can trully compare.

Even when I listened to 2 speakers - at the same store - the settup time between hearing one speaker and a next makes comparision tough.

D

Deleted member 2457

You could try phoning around and looking at these places:

1. Canterburyhifi.co.uk

2. Technosound.co.uk Milton Keynes

3. www.hifix.co.uk - coventry.

Hope it's okay to mention what hi fi team.

D

Deleted member 2457

What's making you go for those speakers?

Because most people I know would go for the FPM and the XT Series B&W Speakers.

A

Anonymous

KBaudio:

AMPS: Onkyo 3007, Denon 4310, Yam Z7 (wouldnt mind hearing the Sony 5400 and the pioneer lx82)

SPEAKERS: B&W CM 7 and 9's, Monitor Audio GS20's and 60's, Focal 826 and 816 and the Special edition versions

I have found places to audition the speakers but not with these amps and never all together so I can trully compare.

Even when I listened to 2 speakers - at the same store - the settup time between hearing one speaker and a next makes comparision tough.

I know SevenOaks in Nottingham have all the amps apart from the Sony and Yammy Z7 available for demo.

In addition they have all the speakers you mention I believe apart from the Focal's.

I'm actually going to demo the Pioneer LX82 on Friday. I might even consider a speaker upgrade to the CM range myself. Temptations, temptations!

A

Anonymous

CarlP:KBaudio:

I know SevenOaks in Nottingham have all the amps apart from the Sony and Yammy Z7 available for demo.

In addition they have all the speakers you mention I believe apart from the Focal's.

I'm actually going to demo the Pioneer LX82 on Friday. I might even consider a speaker upgrade to the CM range myself. Temptations, temptations!

Thanks Gel - I think some of the rayleigh stores carry Focal and B&W

do let me know what you think fo the CM's if you go

A

Anonymous

gel:

What's making you go for those speakers?

Because most people I know would go for the FPM and the XT Series B&W Speakers.

Honestly - I have never heard of the FPM's and i thought the XT were just compromised - style over substance but i dont know the first thing about them - thats just my baseless suspicion - i dont think i have ever been into a shop that even has them

D

Deleted member 2457

They are definetely serious speaker packages.

I have the FPM and my dad has the XT Series.

The XT will go seriously loud. As in shake the house stuff, there is no loss in peformance despite the style.

Whereas the FPM are my personal favourites because they mix so well with pioneer amps, my local dealer used to have them in there with the pioneer amps and I had seem them for years, and they were always the best sound I have heard, because of the mix with the pioneer amps.

Whereas the B&W CM I have never heard and don't know much about.

You should if you can have a listenen to them - highly recommended.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
JTD: Anyways....... I'm worried this demo will confuse me more. In most respects the pioneer is what I want (I dont want heigh channels or a second remote) and it will match up well with my kit. Likewise I am thinking the Pioneer might rob my speakers of bass and character, or is this completely dependant on how I tweak the Pioneer?

Funny you should say this, because this was exactly what I found when I tested the Pioneer LX71 against the Yamaha RX-V3900. I felt a lack of bass punch and control from the Pioneer. There was a lot more to be excited about with the Yamaha in my opinion. When I posted my findings in a danish forum (with a lot of Pioneer fans...) I was told that the Pioneer can be set up to sound anyway you like it to.

Well, I went for the Yamaha (ended up with a Z7 instead though) and haven't regreted this for one moment!

I also tested the famous Sony DA5400ES (and I never did thank you Andy for your nice advice and guidance in the August WhatHifi magasine! The prerequisites changed since my first post considering the Yamaha RX-V1900 as I was meanwhile recommended to move up in price. Never got a chance to test the Rotel, but the Sony surely put up a good fight!) and a Denon AVR 4308A, but next to the Yamaha DSP-Z7 they can't keep up in my opinion.

I should add, that I haven't heard the Pioneer LX82, and as it is the award winner of this year I am sure it is an excellent amp.

JTD: If the Yamaha sounds better I will be confused even more as I hate the orange display.....

Well, I wouldn't exactly let the colour of the display decide which receiver to pick! I believe there are now 3 different colours in my kits... But sound and functionality comes first in my opinion.

A

Anonymous

TKratz:
JTD: Anyways....... I'm worried this demo will confuse me more. In most respects the pioneer is what I want (I dont want heigh channels or a second remote) and it will match up well with my kit. Likewise I am thinking the Pioneer might rob my speakers of bass and character, or is this completely dependant on how I tweak the Pioneer?

Funny you should say this, because this was exactly what I found when I tested the Pioneer LX71 against the Yamaha RX-V3900. I felt a lack of bass punch and control from the Pioneer. There was a lot more to be excited about with the Yamaha in my opinion. When I posted my findings in a danish forum (with a lot of Pioneer fans...) I was told that the Pioneer can be set up to sound anyway you like it to.

Well, I went for the Yamaha (ended up with a Z7 instead though) and haven't regreted this for one moment!

I also tested the famous Sony DA5400ES (and I never did thank you Andy for your nice advice and guidance in the August WhatHifi magasine! The prerequisites changed since my first post considering the Yamaha RX-V1900 as I was meanwhile recommended to move up in price. Never got a chance to test the Rotel, but the Sony surely put up a good fight!) and a Denon AVR 4308A, but next to the Yamaha DSP-Z7 they can't keep up in my opinion.

I should add, that I haven't heard the Pioneer LX82, and as it is the award winner of this year I am sure it is an excellent amp.

JTD: If the Yamaha sounds better I will be confused even more as I hate the orange display.....

Well, I wouldn't exactly let the colour of the display decide which receiver to pick! I believe there are now 3 different colours in my kits... But sound and functionality comes first in my opinion.

I agree, but the Pioneer's sure do look sexy
emotion-11.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts