£2k Demo Results

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Last Wednesday I had a demo of the two AV recievers at the £2k price point. I narrowed down what I wanted to compare to the Yamaha Z7 and the Pioneer LX82. The demo was done with the RS series Monitor Audio speakers, and arcam cd player and a pioneer lx52 (both to represent my Pioneer LX91). Now before the demo I had my heart set on the LX82, to match my kit, being the newer technology and being the best looking! The Dealer kept trying to convince me of the LX82 too.

So anyways I tested the CD player via analogue on both recievers, (direct/pure modes). I used Adele 19 to test this. I switched between the recievers on the same bits of the same tracks. It was close, very close. The difference was small but I did notice:

Pioneer- More detailed, more lean, a little sharp on certian notes, faster, very tight bass, clean.

Yamaha- Warmer, still very detailed, more refined sound, stronger bass, easier listen.

Next was testing with the Blu-ray to test the settings. At this point I favoured the Z7 by a long way. Playing with the Pioneer did allow me to calm down the treble. However the sound was still a little too upfront. Too digital. The Yamaha Z7 wins again. It lets the sound flow and not be as in your face.

So even with all the bias-ness I prefer the Z7. The pioneer is good, but just not my taste. The Yamaha sounds very much the big strong refined analogue amp whereas the LX82 sounds detailed but digitally cold. I am going for the Z7 definately.

On a different subject after listening to the recievers fed by the cd player I asked and compared the set up opposite. This was with the same cd and cables. It was a QUAD CD player and QUAD power amp (I have heard this with RS8s before and found it boring) with the new RX6 speakers. This set up sounded awful, less power, all the leading edge of treble notes was lost, piano sounded muddy. I am so glad I didn't wait for an RX AV setup.

D

Deleted member 2457

Nice to see your happy with the Yamaha with your speakers.

Why do you think the dealer wanted you to have the pioneer was it because it was more expensive?

Was the pioneer sc-lx82 very bassy?

JTD:

Last Wednesday I had a demo of the two AV recievers at the £2k price point. I narrowed down what I wanted to compare to the Yamaha Z7 and the Pioneer LX82. The demo was done with the RS series Monitor Audio speakers, and arcam cd player and a pioneer lx52 (both to represent my Pioneer LX91). Now before the demo I had my heart set on the LX82, to match my kit, being the newer technology and being the best looking! The Dealer kept trying to convince me of the LX82 too.

So anyways I tested the CD player via analogue on both recievers, (direct/pure modes). I used Adele 19 to test this. I switched between the recievers on the same bits of the same tracks. It was close, very close. The difference was small but I did notice:

Pioneer- More detailed, more lean, a little sharp on certian notes, faster, very tight bass, clean.

Yamaha- Warmer, still very detailed, more refined sound, stronger bass, easier listen.

Next was testing with the Blu-ray to test the settings. At this point I favoured the Z7 by a long way. Playing with the Pioneer did allow me to calm down the treble. However the sound was still a little too upfront. Too digital. The Yamaha Z7 wins again. It lets the sound flow and not be as in your face.

So even with all the bias-ness I prefer the Z7. The pioneer is good, but just not my taste. The Yamaha sounds very much the big strong refined analogue amp whereas the LX82 sounds detailed but digitally cold. I am going for the Z7 definately.

On a different subject after listening to the recievers fed by the cd player I asked and compared the set up opposite. This was with the same cd and cables. It was a QUAD CD player and QUAD power amp (I have heard this with RS8s before and found it boring) with the new RX6 speakers. This set up sounded awful, less power, all the leading edge of treble notes was lost, piano sounded muddy. I am so glad I didn't wait for an RX AV setup.

Hi JTD

I am not surprised that you have chosen to go for the DSP-Z7. All of my customers that have compared it to the LX81/LX82 have also chosen the DSP-Z7 instead.

Anyone looking at the £2k level should consider the LX82 because it is very good however i believe the DSP-Z7 to be superior. I have said it many times before that i still believe the DSP-Z7 to be the finest vfm AV amplifier on the market irrespective of price (even at an RRP of £1960).

Btw, JTD i hope yo will enjoy the DSP-Z7 for many years to come.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
The Z7 is pretty much awesome! I am not normally get excited about AV gear but holy cow the Yammy was amazing (as AV gears goes). The next one up is Anthem Statement, mind blowing stuff!

A

Anonymous

gel:

Why do you think the dealer wanted you to have the pioneer was it because it was more expensive?

Newer so he could make more profit I think.

It went very deep and the bass was tight but a little restricted and cold compared to the Z7.

Thanks Rick and Thaiman

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
The Z7 is a superb buy, mine replaced a £3000 Arcam AVR600 and is only bettered IMO by the Arcam with stereo music, but certainly not to the tune of £1500!

JTD:

Yamahas are known to pair very well with Monitor Audio speakers, especially the RS series & the Radius HD.

Thaiman:The Z7 is pretty much awesome! I am not normally get excited about AV gear but holy cow the Yammy was amazing (as AV gears goes). The next one up is Anthem Statement, mind blowing stuff!

Hi Thaiman

Yes, the DSP-Z7 is great however don't forget the DSP-Z11.
emotion-1.gif
The DSP-Z11 is incredible and is only bettered (i have not heard the Anthem yet) imo by the DSP8000/8000R and SPM2400/SPM3005 AV processor/multi channel power amps from Chord Electronics. But than again at between £14k - £27k they should be better!
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

JTD:gel:

Newer so he could make more profit I think.

It went very deep and the bass was tight but a little restricted and cold compared to the Z7.

Thanks Rick and Thaiman

Hi JTD

Your welcome.
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

rajeeboy

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
As a proud Z7 owner, this is very interesting. Perhaps to add further: the Z7 is available for £1600 from many retailers these days so its now better VFM than the Pioneer.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
rajeeboy:the Z7 is available for £1600 from many retailers these days so its now better VFM than the Pioneer.

Even better than that, it's been £1495 including delivery from a few retailers for a while now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts